Home Chat General Chat

Low heel runners – anyone got recommendations?

First time post, long time lurker!

Looking for some advice regarding footwear, in the last eight weeks I have had to take a knife to my Newton’s to allow me get back running! Reason being the heel tab was aggravating my Achilles tendon! My Newton’s have hit the end of the road & now need to be replaced – can anyone recommend a pair of low heel runners for a normal pronator?

Cheers,

MJ

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    MJ

Had a similar problem with my Saucony Fastwitch 2's. I also cut the heel down but found that the achiles had become sensitised and easily aggravated.

I found that putting a Sorbothane heel pad under the foot bed lifted the heel into a position where there was no rub. I've done this to all my other running shoes and it has removed the problem without having to cut the heels again. I assume that as you wear Newtons that you forefoot strike like me the heel pad won't affect you foot strike.

H
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I improved my 5k time by 40 seconds with the same amount of effort by runnng in fivefingers aka barefoot. Can't get much less heel than no heel!

Caveat... You need to build up to barefoot running... I've been working towards it since last august and last weekend was the first time I've raced barefoot.