Home Chat General Chat

Nuun?

Quick one in regards to HIM. Is Nuun supposed to be taken instead of salt tablets or in addition to it? Planning my nutrition for HIM, I intend to use SIS gels and some bars/ride shots for the bike.

For the run more nuun and SIS gels with caffeine. Plan is to drink a 500 ml bottle on the bike every hour and start with gels on the bike and run every 25 mins.

Any comments or is there a good thread on HIM/IM nutrition? All being tested in training of course ...

Comments

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Thanks Mr C, I remember you saying that Nuun once 'saved your life' and the need for an IV in Hawaii.
    Should I consume more gels, more drinks or more other food to increase calories on the bike? Will do Cowman
    - hope to see TeamLaws - so High 5 is on the menu
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I started heeding Mr C's advice some time ago when I started training for IM & HIM this year. My bike rides are now full on feasts. On Sunday I was out for just over 5 hours, and covered 130km's, and during that time I got through 10 Powerbar gels, 4 bananas, 1 loaf of Soreen, 3 bottles of Gatorade and 3 bottles of water. Off the bike and a quick stretch of the legs and consumed 3 more gels, 1 Gatorade and another water. I only needed stop for a piss twice, and ehn I finally got home I didn't have the munchies at all, and waited until my usual feed time for a proper meal.

It does get to be quite expensive doing long training sessions with Gels, but my LBS currently have 342 on all energy products, so it cut;s the costs slightly.
    TRIumphant - do you have a trailer attached to the bike to transport the wagon load of stuff? Where do you put it all? On my 2.5 hour ride last weekend I covered just over 72k and survived on 1 bottle of gatorade, 1 bottle of water and 1 gel .... probably not enough, eh?!
    Gels go into a gel bottle. 1 bottle of gatorade and 1 of water on the bike. Bananas and Soreen in jersey pocket. Then I just stop and buy anything else I need enroute.
  • I'll be there - of course you'll see Ewan and I - you will of course be overtaking us rather rapidly so say Hi as you come past
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Bit of rough maths...

10 Powerbar gels (1000kcal), 4 bananas (350kcal), 1 loaf of Soreen (700kcal), 3 bottles of Gatorade (3*180 kcal) = 2590kcal

and 1 hour cycling @16mph = 750kcal ish depending on weight

So for 5 hours cycling (3750kcal) it sounds like exactly what was needed, and maybe room for another Soreen. Mmmmm.
    So, I am a tall guy (ehh) - 96kg/15 stone and keeping in mind that there is the swim before and the run after, I guess the above menu would only last me for the 3 hour HIM bike ride .... gosh, I will need a refrigerator on the back of the bike to store all the food and this will ruin my biek split!

Honestly - it sounds impossible to cover the calorie needs with gels and drinks only. What do people consuem on race day? A gel every 10 minutes washed down with a pint of gatorade and a couple of loafs of soreen in T1+2?!
    Duh. I may have answered my own question from earlier, where I wondered why I'm feeling tired after a long ride.

I'm 6'3 and 14st2 (down from 15st10 - on purpose btw).

During a 180min 90km bike I'm only eating 1xsoreen, 1x800ml High5, and 1x800ml orange squash.

However thats about as much as I can fit in without feeling overdosed. I tried 2xHigh5 but begin to feel rough after 70km.

Need food... but I agree, how?
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    hmm, i thought i'd got it cracked....have been survining on a kitkat, 1 banana and a bottle of squash, 60 miles, 3h15hs...more work required think!
    largeade wrote:
    Bit of rough maths...

10 Powerbar gels (1000kcal), 4 bananas (350kcal), 1 loaf of Soreen (700kcal), 3 bottles of Gatorade (3*180 kcal) = 2590kcal

and 1 hour cycling @16mph = 750kcal ish depending on weight

So for 5 hours cycling (3750kcal) it sounds like exactly what was needed, and maybe room for another Soreen. Mmmmm.
    Good bit of maths. Just checked my Garmin summary, and it says I got through 2984 calories, so if I consumed 2590 calories, + the breakfast I had before I elft the house, that would explain why when I got home I didn't have the usual munchies.

I mainly worked on, on the hour amd at half-past the hour I had a gel with a good swig of water. At quarter-past and quarter-to I had either banana/chunk of Soreen with Gatorade.

It does sound alot, but at no time did I feel bloated, thirsty or hungry. Only downside is that I found it easier to stop for a minute or two to get the banana/Soreen in me than to do it whilst riding. Decided it;s better to stop and get a good feed, than not stop and go hungry. I know that on the Big Day i'll be stopping at feed stations to get a good feed.

I know it sounds a lot to take out with you on a ride, but then it's an unsupported ride, with no feed stations every 10 miles or so to top up.
    We have similar taste... I've been counting calories very closely since Jan 1st so its ingrained.

I cut the soreen into small chunks and put them in a resealable food bag. Eating on the ride is no issue then.

No idea about peeling a banana whilst pedaling though.

Found this
    http://ironman.com/training/nutrition/t ... trition-st

"Bike:
    Leave the mobile buffet at home. .... if an athletes does well with 250 calories per hour during Ironman I may have them decrease to 200 calories per hour for a 70.3 race.... Stay hydrated. ....if you are finishing in over five hours,... you should have to urinate at least one time ...."

and this

http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... uelingbook

which broadly says: Max 300 calories per hour, Max 850 ml per hour fluid, Sodium chloride (salt): 300-600 mg per hour
    At the moment I'm going to stick with around the 500 calories per hour, which seems to suit me at the moment. Bananas and Soreen washed down with Gatorade will be the initial feed at IM, but once they are gone, then it'll be Gels and water, unless I can get a top up at any aid stations.

Hoever, once I start doing slightly longer rides, or longer runs off the bike, then I may have to adapt, but 500 calories seems to work OK in training. Difficult bit is having breakfast, leaving the house, and then starting the feed after only 15 minutes. Initially, I never started eating anything until I had gone at least 90 minutes, but I now know that bythen I was already 750 calories in defecit and trying to play catch-up, rather than just a drip fed top-up approach.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    You do not & probably will not need to replace all your calorie expenditure during the race, after all you will be at a peak of full stores (hopefully) before you start, 2 hrs worth of stored glycogen (give or take) & unlimited fat stores, all you need to do is spare your glycogen stores by taking in some carbs & encourage fat burn with pace & previous training. You should finish hungry, you then need to start the refuel immediately to aid recovery.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    In a middle distance last year I got through 750ml of Lucozade sport, a dozen jelly babies and a small bit of Soreen while on the bike.

I nearly died on the run. Proper cramps, hysterical giggles, confused.

I can't recommend it. Eat as much as you can. And watch them sodium levels.
    I took above advise and did a 85k Surrey ride with Box Hill and Staple Lane Hill. Consumed a gel every 25 minutes, alternated with Gatorade and water+Nuun. Followed the ride with a 3 mile brick run and was ok. Still felt very hungry afterwards, so will try this weekend to also take on some solids (rideshots, saltry bar, anything else??).