Home Chat General Chat

Weight Gain - question

I am moving up to 1/2 man distance this year and as the weather gets better i have been starting to stretch my legs and extend my run and bike distances - typically i go for 13-19km runs and 35-65km cycles. As i have done this i have noticed i have put on about 3 pounds - diet is the same - though i do have a bigger breakfast on return from a longer session. All else is the same. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Martin

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    It could be that you are converting to muscle which is heavier than fat, but i wouldn't expect it to continue. I am training for an IM and have ffound my weightloss has really slowed - and seems to have completely stopped for the last few weeks. I imagine it will sort itself out - by a bigger breakfast what do you mean - double, triple? If so that could be the reason?
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    It's very easy to over compensate with calories for long rides runs....

Don't overestimate how much you need. Coming back from a long session knackered and starving can lead to eating more.
    I gained 1.5kg when training for a marathon last year. I was doing 60-70km running weeks plus some cross training on the bike. I definitely over estimated how much I was burning.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    How about greater fluid retention due to larger depletion during the longer exercise?
    If it is weight then 1lb fat = 3500 kcal, dont know the same figure for muscle I'm afraid but the calories are coming from somewhere. Even an extra 100 kcal per day will cause slow weight gain.

ade
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I'd try eating some more while you're out on your bike rides. If I don't come home completely shelled and feeling like i'm hollow inside, then I'm less likely to make a weeks' worth of groceries disappear. Have something real to eat after 30 or 40 miles and I find my total calories in can go down without me feeling hungry so much afterwards. A 20km training run shouldn't deplete you so much you feel like another meal is needed either.

If you see your body comp changing, then that is different. But if the fat is still staying still in the fattier places, then you're just over compensating for the training.
  • guys - thanks helpful replies.

As a matter or note i train early (6am or before) and don't eat before hand - drink plenty when exercising (and sometimes take a gel or two if i am going 15+km running or 50km+ on the bike) and echo the comment about feeling like an empty shell when finished - so may be overcompensating at breakfast .

I have read something about milk being a good thing - would it be wise to down a pint on a return to sate my appatite? If so are their views about semi-skimmed or the full monty!?

thanks again

Martin
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Milk (all food) = calories. By all means drink some, but if you care about weight gain that probably means dont eat something else.

As far I can see the recommendation is to eat recovery food within 20 minutes of completing exercise, of which chocolate milk is seems to be a choice of the masses.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I would go with semi skimmed milk - just to avoid the extra fat content of normal milk. And i would suggest having a slice or two of toast before you go out (it means half hour less in bed but its one of those things i guess) I always do that when training in the morning and it makes a massive difference to me, i feel better during the session - more energy, more focused etc, and i don't feel such a state afterwards.