Home Chat General Chat

cracked heels

I was wondering if anyone else has problems with the skin on their heels and/or soles of their feet toughening up to the point that it then splits and is really painful, taking ages to heal.

What do you do or which products are good at alleviating and preventing this?

Advice appreciated.

Ade

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Right

how do I say this.....

1. Warm bath and soak the feet.
    2. Get one of those heel rubs - The things that have sandpapery stuff on them. Asda sell them £1
    3.Rub the heel down, put a paper or something on the carpet to collect the dead skin
    4. rub some moisturiser in - I use uddlery smooth - works a treat.

I will now run about with a flowery t-shirt and go a run with a handbag.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Two schools of thought,
    you could use surgical spirit to try and harden your feet further.This is not my prefered option.

Mine would be to soften and keep your feet flexible.Use antiseptic cream after washing tour feet,then moisturise to keep supple.Pamper your feet.
    The cracking could occur from your feet getting too sweaty,try to let them breathe more.
  • http://www.ciao.co.uk/Flexitol_Heel_Balm__6360104

Flexitol Heel Balm (£3) or any heel cream that contains a good percentage of urea (chemically synthesized but still "YUK!") will do the trick I promise!

After a long soak in the bath, rub feet with rough pumice stone then apply liberal dose of the cream.

Do this every time you bath and your feet will thank you big time!
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    for once i feel that i can add some real value to a question posed on here!!! This is an area that i am more than familiar with, having suffered more than my fair share of cracked heels! firstly, the obvious advantage of this is that you will seldom get blisters - in over 15 years of running around in combat boots with a backpack etc i've never had a blister, but the crack heels can be a killer!!

most of the advice above is absolutely spot on, eg, hot bath, pumice stones etc, however regular moisturiser or even fancy pepermint pish foot lotion WON'T work!! You need to get the special cracked heel repair cream, Scholl do it and i think tescos/asda do their own brand version. Its much more expensive than regular moisturise, IIRC around £5-6 a smallish tube but i really works.

Top tip, following a bath when your feet are still a bit damp, smother it on heels and put socks on straight away to stop it rubbing off, also, cream heels up before bed and sleep with socks on - romantic, no, effective, big time! in extreme cases ie, when you can barely walk (i've been there) do all of the above and go extreme by sleeping with plastic bags on feet under socks (yo may wish to cut toes out of plastic bags to prevent excess sweating)..the plastic bag naturally heats your feet up, making them sweat, keeping them moist and further allowing cream to be more effective!

Hope this helps?
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Thanks for this - have invested in some CSS heel balm (25% urea) and have gone from pain and limping to nearly healed heels, ran today. Guess feet pampering is the way forward.

cheers
    Ade
  • Best of luck &....... best foot forward, Ade!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Can we have womens tips on shaving or waxing legs now ?

• Which bits are you shaving, sweetheart?!!!

• Lighter and a can of deodorant. It's the quickest way
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    willieverfinish wrote:
    Lighter and a can of deodorant. It's the quickest way
    but the smell must be awful...
    Curvy_Cactus wrote:
    Which bits are you shaving, sweetheart?!!!

um, would i seem stupid by saying my legs?
    Curvy_Cactus wrote:
    Which bits are you shaving, sweetheart?!!!

Only my legs !!!
    Its the old Aero / Road rash argument again !!!

Nice to be called sweetheart though !!! Pussycat !!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Superglue in the cracks works as a quick emergency fix. Hurts like hell though.
    nivagh wrote:
    and so does flamethrowing your leg hair off.In for a penny in for a pound,hey ho.Maybe if you did it at the end of an IM your body might think it was being pampered after what you have just put it through.
  • Superglue in the cracks works as a quick emergency fix. Hurts like hell though.
    flamethrowing your leg hair off
    Erm... Don't try this at home, kids!
    Curvy_Cactus wrote:
    flamethrowing your leg hair off
    Erm... Don't try this at home, kids!
    Apparently it will be perfectly safe if you have a responsible adult present.
  • That's not us, then!
    Curvy_Cactus wrote:
    That's not us, then!
    That's very true !!!!

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Not sure how putting superglue in my crack is going to get the hair off my legs but I'm giving it a go tonight.