Home Chat General Chat

Who kicked off their season today?

jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
With over 17 races around the country today,April 18th,it is one of the busiest,so who kicked off their Triathlon season today and what went right or wrong?

Comments

• Season started 2 weeks ago for me with an Aquathlon... Pleased with swim, shamed at run (waddle!)...

Next up is Grendon, then Blehiem, will have to up the ante by then!
  • Duston Tri today, my first tri on my trusty mountain bike

Everything went smoothly, yeah right
    Bike compueter died the night before
    Racked my bike and started setting up in the wrong slot, 155 instead of 255 (wondered why there were no bikes, they were all out on the bike leg!)
    Two slow swimmer in my lane choose to ignore feet taps which was extreme;y annoying, tried to overtake and received a wack in the side of the head, I thought I hgad bad technique! O and forgot the number of lengths

Times...
    9.00/3.02/41.31/1.28/27.44 - 1.22.48

Initial thoughts, swim should be faster and of course a faster bike! carbon and red I belive is the order of the day.
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Winchester. 400m, 20 mile, 5 mile.

2 hours I reckon but results not up yet. Happy with that for first race of the season.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I kicked mine off with an appalling performance, totally related to my nutrition and my complete ineptness.

750m swim/ 20k bike/ 5k run.

Should be round the 1hr 30mark and had it not been for severe stomach cramps I would've sooo much quicker. I was on the bike which was working beautifully and had a good averagespeed of approx 20mph and I was overtaking people who had got out the pool quicker than me. Then around 10k I got really severe stomach cramps and at one point I was just crawling along on the bike.

Run - wasn't much better, I think my wife has a pic of me bent double with the pain
    I struggled through the run and 5k in 28mins.....

They say you learn more on a bad and I did - my nutrition needs work.

I did take some postives, it was the best I had swum in a long time and had it not been for the arse who, despite me tapping his feet to move over twice, didn't move and I got stuck behind him as overtaking in the lane was banned.

I was also climbing hills pretty quick and overtaking reasonably well and my bike handling in the wet was good. ( It was lashing it down with rain where the tri was).

I was dejected yesterday but time to move and get fired back into training as I've got Horwich Tri coming up.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I did. Still waiting for the results though to find out how I did against my complex assessment criteria. For now, I am focussing on the bits that weren't right. Need the results to find the good bits
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Started with year with the Brighton Marathon. Amazing day for a really well run event. It didn't have the "spectacle" of some big city races but it was very efficiently organized and executed.

Training for it was not so good as I'd had to take 3 weeks off in Jan/Feb from an inflamed tendon in my foot, so I never did a run longer than 15 miles before the race. Exactly on pace through the half way in 1:49:20. Then the through first 22 miles went like clockwork, ticking off 8:20/mile like a metronome which is what I'm most pleased with looking at this race. Finished just 5 minutes over my goal time in 3:44:19. Got a bit of a sun burn and got some great food in afterwards as well. Good result!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Like mintymat I kicked things off in Winchester on Sunday. I rather enjoyed it... well organised, great weather and a challenging course.

I was in the estimated 6:45 swim wave and came out of the water first. Woohoo. It all went downhill after that, with a fumbled show change, an awkward cleat and a rubbish run.

Overall, I got what I deserved for my poor training in the last month or so. Great race, though, and a good day out.

Full race report over on forum.BCTTT.com , of course.
  • MrTimMrTim Posts: 13
    Had my first ever tri on Sunday. I learnt that my transistions need a lot of work, being some of the slowest of them all and costing me about 15 places (which is a lot in a field of 130!). It's particularly annoying when I compare myself to the bloke who finished 12 places ahead, as I had better times in all three events, but he clawed it all back (and more) in the transitions!
    On the plus side, I did my fastest ever run. Somehow I was about 90 seconds quicker after having already swum and biked than I am when running fresh!
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    MrTim wrote:
    Had my first ever tri on Sunday. I learnt that my transistions need a lot of work, being some of the slowest of them all and costing me about 15 places (which is a lot in a field of 130!). It's particularly annoying when I compare myself to the bloke who finished 12 places ahead, as I had better times in all three events, but he clawed it all back (and more) in the transitions!
    On the plus side, I did my fastest ever run. Somehow I was about 90 seconds quicker after having already swum and biked than I am when running fresh!
    I guess you were faster on the run ,cause you were RACING !!!

well done
  • Got my first of the season this Sunday......Kendal Sprint. Defo recommend it, well organised, friendly environment. See you there
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Did the first of my five races this year on Sunday at Skipton.loooooooonnnnnnggggg transitions which added on abit of time.I chugged my way around the countryside and finished,happy with my time,definately need to improve on the hill climbing,as I would be more suited to a flat course or a downhill one.

The entry fee was a touch steep,for a sprint race and a t shirt,but it didn't deter almost 600 others from racing.Well organised,just needed the marshalls to show some interest instead of using their friggin phones,
    One marshal did go beyond the call of duty with his traffic control/calming measures to get the cyclists through a junction without stopping.So a big thankyou to him.

Woodhall spa in three weeks.See what a flat course brings,ha ha.
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    firefightergaz wrote:
    Got my first of the season this Sunday......Kendal Sprint. Defo recommend it, well organised, friendly environment. See you there
    See you there. I love Kendal sprint, I don't think I'd have finished last year without the marshals cheering me on, especially the ugly bit just past the railway bridge ! Bike route this year looks miles easier...good luck !
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    101SUSY wrote:
    [quote="firefightergaz":1dvlwfru]Got my first of the season this Sunday......Kendal Sprint. Defo recommend it, well organised, friendly environment. See you there
    See you there. I love Kendal sprint, I don't think I'd have finished last year without the marshals cheering me on, especially the ugly bit just past the railway bridge ! Bike route this year looks miles easier...good luck ![/quote:1dvlwfru]

Oooh, that went great, I did it in 1:28 which was 35 minutes faster than last year, even though it was a slightly shorter course I'm still dead pleased ! Stinking weather though, and a terrible bike from me. I have now realised that just cos there's less hills, doesn't mean it's any easier !!! Good swim tho, and improving run... Nice mug too

I hope everyone else who did it had a great time !
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    well done...quite some improvement.