Home Chat General Chat

Cheap Bike Upgrade

Hi Guys,

Not been here for a while as I've been thoroughly disillusioned with training and with niggling injurues coming one after the other.

I have just come into a (very!) small amount of money, and, once the WATO has taken her slice, can afford to put about £200 towards an upgrade to my bike. I currently ride a 'fausto coppi' 7005 Aluminium framed road bike. http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/jshopfiles/Fausto_Coppi_Road_Bikes.htm. I've upgraded the groupset from Sora to 105, but other than that it is as delivered. So, the question is this:

Where would my £200 be best spent? Options under consideration are either a set of carbon forks, or possibly a slightly better set of wheels.

I have a nagging concern that carbon forks are not the way to go as I'm over 15st (all muscle, obviously!) and I am wary of them being too flexible. Overall, I'm quite happy with the bike, and only do three or four events a year so can't justify full bling or the expense of a tri bike. This year I'm doing a sprint, an olympic, HIM UK and the Outlaw.

Any advice from you more experienced guys would be gratefully received - is there a no-brainer upgrade that would make a difference to ride quality and/or speed that I've overlooked?

Cheers peoples,

FK

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    can you get carbon forks for 200 quid?

I am 14.5 stone and have no hassles with the carbon forks on my bike....

I'd be more wary of the wheels!

what about go faster stripes?
    what about some proper triathlon bike shoes? I just got some from Specialized with nice Look Keo Sprint pedals....they're so much better than my old ones.
    And, I can ride barefoot now!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    If you haven't got clipless pedals and shoes, these are probably the best upgrade in terms of seconds per pound spent.
    After that, a set of clip - on tri bars.

Go on ebay for both and you can still take the WAT Officer out for a curry with the change!
  • Perhaps £200 spent on a coach?

or some pink accessories?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Get the Red Look Keo Sprint pedals and red bar tape - guaranteed to make you a good 5 mins quicker over 20k! (at least that's what i hoped when i put that on my bike ) Then get an aero helmet, and if there's some change left over a pair of clip on tri bars...although thats a lot to get for £200
    I wouldn't get the aero helmet before getting the tri-bars....you'd look fairly silly on a standard road bike without aero bars but with a full-on aero helmet!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I would echo Scotty's comments. Put it towards coaching.

That single bit of investment will get you on the road to becoming faster, then when you do that get a new bling bike!