Home Chat General Chat

Goals for 2010

2»

Comments

• joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Quite simply: swim faster, run faster, bike much faster....!!
  • Quite simply: swim faster, run faster, bike much faster....!!
    Your swimming is pretty fast anyway! And provided you've not been drinking your cycling and running aren't too bad either!
    And provided you've not been drinking your cycling and running aren't too bad either!
    That's me told!! Thanks Jelly - no alcohol this week (have a race on Saturday)!!
  • Which one? The duathlon at milton keynes?
    Which one? The duathlon at milton keynes?
    Yes indeed are you doing it....
  • My goals.........to enjoy running.......
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    by garyroberts » 16 Feb 2010 21:22

My goals.........to enjoy running.......
    Is that actually possible ? ? ?
  • Thought about it, but I'm seeing a wedding venue at 10 and don;t think i'll make it up there in time.

I'm pretty sure that willtri is doing it though
  • Most of my goals are just to finish however....

March - Ballbuster duathlon - Finsh under 3.30
    April - Stratford Half Marathon - under 1.28 would be great
    May - Stratford Sprint - around 1.07
    June - Ironman 70.3 - just finish
    July - possibly - Possibly Devil Ride if I can pluck up the courage to do it again.
    Aug - London Tri - just finish
    Sept - Wessex 100 - 5.15
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    I thought it might be time for some updates:

Blinkybaz - How was Bath?
    Moonshine - Did you enjoy Pembrokeshire. I thought it was the most enjoyable of the CTS series so far.

My goal was a new half marathon PB. First attempt is tomorrow. Target is 1:36:30. Not sure that I am quite there yet. All my training has to some extent been based around pace rather than effort. I have been using my garmin FR60 with footpod. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the calibration for the footpod. 10m per mile out equates to approximately 3 seconds per mile. The plan is to try and hold 7:15 miles throughout (according to the footpod) which gives me 7sec per mile leeway.However I'm not sure that I will sustain the pace. I haven't done any long flat road runs in training. The flat ones have been on towpaths and the road runs have tended to be hilly.

The reality is that if I take longer than 1:45 it will be a failure. 1:40- 1:45 would be adequate. <1:40 would be good. And the new PB (1:36:30) - I guess you'll hear about it if I achieve it.

The real reason for posting this is that it publically defines success and failure. If I take >1:45 I can't start making excuses to myself. Equally if I get below 1:40 it will be more difficult for me be critical as to why I didn't do better.
  • My goal is to swim an OW tri without panicing!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    To improve my Im distance time(is getting a bigger number an improvement)
    To do a 25tt in under an hour.
    To achieve a podium finish in some race or other(but I do seem to have the ability to finish second in a one horse race)
    To win the lottery
    and qualify for Kona

Does anyone one know a good tailor as the sleeves on my jacket only seem to fasten around the back.
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    You are all amazing ! My goals are somewhat humbler. I did my first triathlon last year (Kendal Sprint. I cried and laughed simultaneously when I finished !) and I'm doing it again in two weeks. I've only got a mountain bike so my aim is to make 10 minutes improvement on last year. I think I could do it in 1.40 if I had a road bike...

My second goal is to be running a 55 minute 10k by the end of the summer. Currently 1:01

The third is to complete the Castles Challenge OD in June in a respectable (for me) time.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Haven't been on for a while - now spring is in the air it feels like tri season is looming.

My goal for this season, and this season alone, is to have no goals. I set an OD PB last summer and did my first marathon in 3:50 in October (10 mins slower than I had trained for but in mitigation I was running with a cold that I'd had for a few days, my first in 10 months ).

Why have I set no goals? I lost my job 16 months ago and am now setting up my own business / working freelance. I'm also back in university in the evenings to study for a MSc in Sport Management, a 2 year part-time course and I have exams in May & June, my first in 20 years! This is my priority. With 2 young at home on top of all this I think it's right to put competition in the back seat for a while.

That said, I've been keeping fit and will probably do a race or two in August & September. I'm running well as I've been running all through the winter. What a delight it is doing good honest training but often leaving the HRM and stopwatch at home, just running on RPE. I'm doing the lovely Fuller Thames Towpath Ten miler next Sunday and it'll be interesting to see how I fare wrt the clock, just for benchmarking. My cycling will be poor as I'm not commuting by bike as much (my lecture schedule in the evenings makes it awkawrd) and I haven't been in a pool in months.

In the back of my mind I'm thinking of entering a 80-100 mile sportive towards end-summer (maybe Etape Hibernia in scenic Co. Clare in Ireland). Any suggestions?

My cycling let me down a bit in 2009 season so maybe stepping up my cycling efforts will set me up for late summer tris and maybe even as a solid base for 2011. Once my exams are over the good weather will naturally draw me to the open water again.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Jack Hughes wrote:
    Not get injured
    Get some systematic training in
    Have fun!

This means a slightly less aggressive race schedule, focus on short events, focus on cycling/swimming.

I have a few progression objectives which will determine which way the season goes - a weekend swim workship in just over a week, a TTT in March, a sprint in April.

My goals are just health and fitness for this year (after last year being wiped out with injury and operations).
    I am having fun... And probably the most injury free for a long time.. Knee still hurts but it probably always will.

I had set the objective of doing a 26 in a 10 mile TT this year... did a long 25 yesterday! This means I am entitled to a TT bike... Well, perhaps if I can do 1:08 in a 25.

Last week I did something unexpected - a new pb in a 5k (first since 2008 and first since last years surgery) and, more importantly went under 20 mins for the first time. And to cap it all, this was barefoot (makes a huge difference)

first tri is next weekend - looking forward to that as running and biking is coming together - so just need to find out what is happening to the swim - I've put a lot of work into that in the last few months, so I am hoping it will be better than last year!

Anyway, things are going to planso far!
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    Didn't quite get to achieve the goal today. Finished in 1:41:38. According to my previous post this counts as adequate. However I had already identified potential problem with my footpod calibration and according to the garmin I ran 13.7 miles at a pace of 7:24/mile and other than the PB I am reasonably happy to accept that I held a (for me) good pace.

All in all quite happy with it for now. If I had corrected the calibration sometime in the last three months I wouldn't have been considering the PB this time out.

What next - I will recalibrate sometime in the next week or so. I then need to identify training paces for use over the next three months. However my focus for the next three months will be on the bike and the running will be mainly to maintain what I have got over the winter. I might start looking for a flat half marathon for the autumn so that I can have another crack at it though.
  • this year is a holding year. I live abroad now, and my 3rd child is due in 3 weeks (which will be 3 under 3....). Realistically, this means that I'm not going to be breaking any PBs for a while. My longer term goal is 2hr30m at Olympic Distance. I nearly cracked it in 2008 and I came 2nd in my age group at a small triathlon last year . For this year, I'll settle for maintaining a sensible fitness level and competing in at least one triathlon (Baku, June). 2011 will be an outside shot at 2.30. 2012, when I'm back in the UK, will be the year.... I'll even have the real Olympics to motivate me!
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    beat my windsor PB.

try and enjoy the London triathlon

stop having children.
  • Well as this is my year doing Tri's, i've entered myself in 1 event so far, with the possiblity to 2 more. All Sprints

Zürich Triathlon - End July - ENTERED
    Tatton Park Tri - September
    Castle Challenge Tri in Kent - Spetember

Aims are to finish them, in a respectible time

That is all

JB
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    My main goal for 2010 is to get back on the bike! (I'd already axed swim and run this year because of family commitments).
    Some virus has kept me off two wheels for three months...but I'm finally beginning to feel ready to train again! :roll:
  • I have booked a weekend ride with a buddy covering just over 200 miles down in Cornwall 11 weeks away sh!ting myself.
    Also am going to book my first olympic distance, The Windfarmer in Sept.
    Good times are round the next corner.
  • PetabPetab Posts: 13
    Here's mine:

1. Make it to the start line of my first tri (June 13th)

2. Better the IM swim time I did last year (preferably without tearing all the muscles in my arms due to
    lack of training...)

3. Learn how to cycle properly....

4. Ride up to 90km before winter sets in...
  • dancox_uk wrote:
    This is my first year this year so my goals are simple.

1-Complete Arundel tri in may I've entered.
    2-Get the balls to take swimming lessons( I need them)
    3-Hever Tri oly
    4 10k sub 45min (PB 46:45)
    5- STOP buying everthing Tri related (although I'm certain I need a Colnago Primavera-right??)
    UPDATE- - - - - - - - -

1- 1 month to go and counting!
    2- Doing 'em and loving 'em
    3- Not yet!
    4- 43:30 (sooooooo chuffed with this one!)
    5- failed miserabley ( ended up i really needed an PX SL Carbon Pro in beeeeeautiful shiny white!)
    6- forgot this one last time baby No2 due in 2 days!!!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Well done on no. 4
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Not sure which is best: 2, 4, or 6. But well done for all... hope 6 goes well - I assume that it's your S.O. that's mainly involved with that one..
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    101SUSY wrote:
    You are all amazing ! My goals are somewhat humbler. I did my first triathlon last year (Kendal Sprint. I cried and laughed simultaneously when I finished !) and I'm doing it again in two weeks. I've only got a mountain bike so my aim is to make 10 minutes improvement on last year. I think I could do it in 1.40 if I had a road bike...

My second goal is to be running a 55 minute 10k by the end of the summer. Currently 1:01

The third is to complete the Castles Challenge OD in June in a respectable (for me) time.
    1. 1:28 !!!! really pleased and I know I can do it faster.
    2. Find out in three weeks in Manchester
    3. I don't want to think about it *throws up*
  • soowrrt2soowrrt2 Posts: 1
    I only have one main goal for 2010, and that's to get across the finish line