Home Chat General Chat

Ironman tattoo

Ok everyone lets have your honnest opinions then, should you get one or not??? I have and I know people here think you look like a "c$%k" if have one. So I thought I'd start a friendly fight and let everyone get their opinions out.

My thoughts are simple (no jokes please) I got one because it was a big achievement, it was also two years in the planning mentally and physically. It's a reminder to me that I spent that all that time on a thing that I was really proud of. So here's my opinion what do you all think.

Comments

• jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    Yeah, I'd get one if I ever managed one.
    You know waht they say, swim 2.4 miles, bike 122 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.
    Why not have a tattoo to prove it - you've earn't it ?
    I've not got a single tattoo but that is the one thing that would change my mind.

Good for you mate
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I will get one when I have finished IMUK ... I already have a few anyway and my tattoos are a body pictorial of times/eras in my life .. well so far they are I probably wouldn't get a straight M-dot though but a tat that incorporated it. Its not what anyone else thinks anyway its what you think.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    If i ever do an Ironman then i'd be proud to display the Mdot logo on my body without a doubt
  • I'd definately have a little one on my ankle. No hope of me ever doing one though :roll:

I saw a lady today with one one her lower back. It showed in the gap on her swimming costume. Personally I would prefer a smaller, more discreet one, but it looked good on her!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Depends on where it is....yes, yes settle down at the back....Are we talking big showy 'Look at me' tattoo or a discrete, only those that know me fairly well will know it is there. I have a tattoo, not an ironman tattoo, but reasonably discrete & most folk don't know I have one at all, it was done for me not anyone else.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    if i can finish in August (a big if) then i'll be 100% getting my last tattoo and it will be the mdot with the date...and it will be in a place i can cover it up...it will be for me...to remember my greatest challenge....if i dont finish though i'm not going to bother with the DNF version
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    When I finish in August (got to think more positively Andy), I'll be getting one. If they'll do it at the finish line, then even better, as I'm sure I would gave lost the feeling in my legs. I've never had a tattoo, and never felt the urge before, but with the amount if time and effort i'm putting into training etc, I really want a permanent reminder if what I am physically and mentally capable of, that a medal it t-shirt just won't do.

It's also partly vanity, all my friends who do Tri, are scared to step up to OD, so IM scares them. And, when I'm old and wrinkly and smelling if wee and the grandkids ask me what the tattoo us for, I'll be able to bore them to death, just like I do know when people ask me how my training us going.
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    Did an IM last year and got an M Dot on my ankle. I have never regretted it for a second. Its a timely reminder of a worthy achievement.
  • cw_74cw_74 Posts: 11
    Hi all
    Can I take this slightly off track and ask thoughts on gettin the M Dot tattoo for a Half IM?
    I'm doing the UK one in June (my first) and would like to get one if I finish but of course it'll be marked with 70.3 on it to ensure I'm not taking credit for the full distance!!
    Hopefully my two 70.3's this year will give me the confidence to tackle the full distance next year!

Cheers
    Craig
  • FirestarterFirestarter Posts: 120
    Why would it bother you what other people think?? A tattoo is for you not for anyone else........

But since you ask..........

I think if you plan on doing an Iron distance race next year why dont you wait till next year and get the tattoo?

If you had a 70.3 one or a full distance one which one would you be most proud of??! and dont bullshit me by saying..."its about the JOURNEY theyre both important..." cos thats rubbish!!! The 70.3 one would be a waste of ink if you plan on doing full distance.........

If you were swimming the channel would you get your 50metre badge tattooed on your leg????

Just sayin s'all........
    Just get the M-Dot logo outlined in black, and only get half of it inked in in red after your HIM. Get the remaining half inked in when you've finished the IM. Would be a talking point, and give you justification for ony having a part tattoo.
  • I'm with firestarter on this one, and we all know how he loves an IM tat

If you want to get one after that why don't you just get 70.3?

But it is up to you, I thought we'd have more people posting anti IM tattoo posts.

If you're out there let us know.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I stuffed three Big-Macs into my drooling maw for lunch today, so now I'm having the Golden Arches tattooed across my arse.

Ahem. I've thought about the mdot thing myself, for when I do IM. I can understand wanting to get a marker that all can see to celebrate the enormous effort and achievement. I'm just not really into the whole corporate logo thing.
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Three big macs that's not bad!!!

As for the corporate thing, are we not all just one big add anyway? My bike says specialized all over it my helmet says Giro, and I've got 2XU across my arse.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I've got a tattoo of a pig on my bottom.

didds
    Is it a self portrait Didds?

Sorry. Bad day, had my first DNS today
  • andyfb78andyfb78 Posts: 7
    I thought about it after completing my first IM. I have friends who do, and a pro friend who definitely doesn't....

I personally decided against it because IM (m-dot) is a brand, and it is a bit too close to tattooing 'Flora' or 'Coke' or similar.

I did think about a simple 140.6 on the ankle, those who know will know, those who don't will think it is a prison mark!!

So i decided against it.