Home Chat General Chat

Tumble turns. Seconds saved?

Just wondering how many seconds you save per length by switching to tumble turns for a pool Tri.
Thoughts?

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Generally, 2-3 seconds, but in a Tri, none, as you'll probably be DQ'd. Read the rules, I've not yet done onewhere they are allowed.
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    Nope Ive never been allowed either!!!!
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    You can do them in my local sprints (border triathlons)

I've just started to use tumble turns this year and haven't noticed much difference yet.

Still learning though, sometimes I end up going really deep on the push off so that probably eradicates any possible gain from previous well executed turns!

worth learning, I found I miss out on an extra breath at the end of each length, which takes a little while to get used too!!
    My PB for 750 is 11 mins and I'm looking to get it down. Good question
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    World records are:
    Long course, 50m pool/Short course, 25m
    50m 0:21 (0 turns) / 0:20 (1 turn)
    100m 0:47 (1 turn) / 0:45 (3 turns)
    200m 1:42 (3 turns) / 1:39 (7 turns)
    400m 3:40 (7 turns) / 3:32 (15 turns)
    800m 7:32 (15 tuns) / 7:23 (31 turns)

So on a 400m swim you save roughly 1 second per turn.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    All of the pool-based triathlons I have done (Midlands - Humber area) have allowed tumble turns. I do find they are faster - worth practicing to nail it, but I don't do them throughout the swim as I tend to find they make me too out of breath after about 150m so I switch to open turns and get the extra O2 in!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Its not the 'seconds saved' that is important in doing tumble turns unless your actually competing at swimming.....ie phelps etc.

for triathletes to do these turns it helps simulate open water swimming where you dont get to have that extra breath at the end of each 25/33/50m depending on pool size. It improves your endurance too.

I cant tumble turn for sh*t but its gona be on my learn to do list this year. Well worth learning though.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Generally, 2-3 seconds, but in a Tri, none, as you'll probably be DQ'd. Read the rules, I've not yet done onewhere they are allowed.
    Reading this thread, it seems that some people have competed in events where tumble turns have been banned but there is nothing in BT rules that ban tumble turns and also no penalties are attributed to tumble turns,so it seems that it is purely a race organisers decision.

I have been competing in triathlons since 1987 and I have never raced a pool triathlon where tumble turns have been banned.
  • ithurtsithurts Posts: 37
    IMHO i would say that you do save time...

When i am swim training with my mate we usally have a 400m blast after the usual 3k session. We are both very equal when it comes to stroke count and pace during our swims but i do tumble turns and he does not. I always end up 1 length ahead of him at the end of our 400m which i can only attribute to doing tumble turns.

They take a bit a practice but soonbecome second nature.

ithurts
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    On the basis of ithurts' anecdote, tumble turns make you 6.25% faster over 400m. Cool, I'd better get them nailed then!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Hopefully gonna incorporate it into Monday's race. Keep you posted.