Home Chat General Chat

Ironman article in The Times

Anyone else read this article in yesterday's times newspaper regarding the superfit and possible heart problems?

Wella

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-2559209.html

Comments

• tomroomtomroom Posts: 33
    I'm actually researching this issue now as part of my dissertation. It is well documented that endurance athletes show an increased incidence of arrythmias which are usually benign and are just an adaptation to training. For example athletes are often told they have sinus bradycardia arrythmia which just means they have a low resting heart rate.

Although the incidence of sudden death is slightly higher, it is negligable. The increased risk is probably considerably reduced by the benefits of regular exercise. Athletes who have died from arrythmias have usually triggered it through some form of drug abuse. Performace enhancing drugs put the heart under considerable pressure. The evidence that alcohol and cocaine are frequent triggers is also well documented.

Having researched this quite thoroughly and having been diagnosed with a few arrythmias myself I am confident that we can all continue training as hard as ever!

Tom

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    The BBC news website had an article today saying that being cynical increases your chances of heart disease.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6289847.stm

So it looks like I'm totally stuffed.

Mike

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I suppose its a bit like formula 1 car they're so tuned up yet forever breaking down!
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Cheers Tom.

My view was that this high risk group is so small that you never get to hear of the problems. Its like the footballer who dropped dead halfway through a match, its so rare yet its only due to TV and football's popularity that it got a mention.

Mike,

I now believe that if people have the money, scientists will research absolutely anything. Or is that me just being cynical.....
  • There s probably people researching into the harmful effects of eating a piece of toast how it is going to give us all some terrible diesease! Personally I d rather be training for triathlons than slobbing on the sofa to scared to do anything

[:D]