Home Chat General Chat

How do you race?

BmanBman Posts: 442
Hey, just wondered hoe everyone judges their race pace. Ive always gone out with an idea of times I'd like to get for each split and aim for that. So its a look at the watch after the swim, try to hit a certain speed on the bike and hold it (for a flat course), and then keep an eye on overall time during the run, trying to negative split it and hit the finishing time Id like.

Now im not saying it always works, but its just part of the routine I guess. But with my first sprint race of the season a week and a half away, training being less than minimal over the last few months and being on a new TT bike for the first race, I was considering forgetting about time (no watch or bike comp), concentrating on how I feel and race as hard as I can and check the time afterwards.

Anyone else regularly race by feel rather than time? Pros/cons? What you reckon?

Comments

• andissandiss Posts: 82
    Racing purely on feel.

Swim i kind of have a comfort pace at i guess 80%, or 18-20 min per km.
    Cycle - 90%, just trying not to go 100%, i enjoy the bike so usually just try to be comfy.
    Run, again by feel, if i feel good = faster pace. If feel bad just think about happy place..which is usually the fish and chips, and a coooold beeer.

Been told that race using heart rates zones could be good, like keep a level and try to stick it.
    But cant be arsed spending more money on more gear, im not that good anyway
  • ga02clrga02clr Posts: 11
    Go out hard and try and get even faster at the end.

Looking at watches wastes time. In early season races you may as well blow up in a blaze of glory rarther than getting to the end realising you had some left in the tank.

As I was told as a young mountainbike racer, if you lungs hurt take it through the gears to make it harder, if your legs hurt make it a touch easier and if they both hurt you have it bang on.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    as fast as i believe I can over the distance, for a sprint i am at breaking point for about 90% of it, and the run tends to be run at puking point
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Does no one else clock-watch while racing? Hmm, interesting, I thought I was racing as hard as I could and happened to be watching the clock while doing it. Maybe I was doing it the other way around.

Could this be a pyschological barrier Im about to break?
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    i have adopted the 'survive the swim', 'hammer the bike', 'stumble home puking for the run' approach

only done 3 sprints, failed to start the watch in two of them in the swim and pressed the wrong buttons a couple of times when trying to measure the splits..

however going to try again this weekend with, start the watch and leave it alone and focus on the race..
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Sprint Distance - Flat out/red line for entire event. Usually takes me between 50 mins and 70 mins for this Distance depending on terrain. HR minimum of 170 IE about 90-95% MHR

Standard - Steady Swim, Flat out bike, Flat out run. Usually about 2 hours - 2 hours 10 for this. HR minimum 160.

Middle/HIM - Steady Swim, Bike paced at Lactate Turn Point - HR @ 153-162 Power @ 270W, Run @ Lactate Turn Point - 168-175

IM - I intend to race IM UK as my first IM, this is my pacing strategy for that:
    Swim - Steady
    Bike - Start steady (HR@140-150) for about 1/2 to 2/3rds distance, build upto just below Lactate Turn point by end of bike (HR upto 158)
    Run - Start Steady - 9 to 9:30 min miling for around 13 miles, increase pace slightly to 8:45-9 min miling until 20 miles, then unleash everything I have for remain 10k hopefully around 8-8:30 min miling. Aiming for 3:45-4:00 for the distance.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    That's two for the "'survive the swim', 'hammer the bike', 'stumble home puking for the run' approach"

I never time myself when racing, it's all on feel, but I'll always have done enough bricks so I know how hard I can go on the bike to be able to run after - then I just ignore it and go as fast as possible and overtake as many people as possible, and just hope adrenlin, pure will power, and hatred of shame and embarasment will keep me running to the end.

So far I've always beaten my times!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    If you paced the bike you will run quicker and youll clock a faster overall time.......

This is coming from someone who used to survive the swim, nail the bike and survive again on the run.

The first thing I looked at when checking out the results was 'did I clock the fastest bike split' or 'how far was I off the fastest bike split'

Now I pace the bike, maybe be a little slower than I am capable of but Im so much quicker on the run now and Im actually the one who chases down the guys who nailed the bike.

For an example, at the Dambuster (standard distance) I once clocked a 1:08 bike split followed by struggling to get a sub 40 min 10k.......Last year I clocked 1:10 on the bike, paced it a bit better by not letting my HR rocket, more sensible use of gears etc....then ran a 36:04 min 10k......

Believe me that is the better way of doing it.....but in my case only worth doing on tough standard distance and above races......sprints for me are just an hour beasting session and see if I can redline for as long as possible.
  • Im a poor swimmer so just try and go as fast as possible on the bike & run! My aim is to overtake whoever I can see in front!
    Wore a HR monitor at my last tri but I dont know how to use it properly
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Cruise the swim, nail the bike, survive the run.

Some caveats: cruising the swim at 80-90% gets me out of the water somewhere 'up there'. Last tri was 1100m OW and I started in the second wave of 100 people and got out in 6th. I find swimming very easy.

Nailing the bike means 80-90% again. I ride hard but with a mental note that I have a run to do. Last 1-2 km I back off and stretch my legs, and sod however many people overtake me.

I don't look at my watch unless there are km markers on the run, in which case I'll monitor it. I don't need the pressure.

I'm crap at running and cycling, BTW, which is why I try to conserve energy in the swim.
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    Play to your strengths. If you are a strong runner, take it steady on bike and then go for it on the run. If you go all out on the bike you risk collapsing on run and losing the chance to capitalise on your best event.