Home Chat General Chat

Suck at the run....

Usually do well and enjoy the swim and the bike, but when it comes to the run i always seem to struggle.
If my normal 5km runnning speed is 4min/km on a tri i usually do it in 5min/km. I try to pace myself and also not drink too much.

Any tips, training etc? Do more cycle sessions followed by intervall running sessions and etc.

Or maybe i should just join a relay team

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    What i found really improved my run leg times last year was to get in the gym. I would get on the spin bike for 20mins, jump off and straight onto a treadmill for a 1k balls out effort (normally about 3'15) then 30s walk, back on the bike and repeat until i couldn't hold the pace, or i felt like i was going to puke. I normally made 3 reps before fading dramatically on the 4th one. You have to pound the bike at the end - last 5 mins were done at race intensity, and the first 15 were at a steady effort. can't say if it will work for you but it seems that you maybe struggle to go fast off the bike so this should help solve that, it did for me.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    For me the key was doing 3+hour bike rides. Sprint or OD bike durations are nothing in comparison and whilst I've never been a fast runner, my run speed is much nearer maximum pace.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    There are a few reasons why you'll be slower..but with practice you should be able to get a lot closer to your normal running pace.
    Things to consider would be: *position on the bike..is it optimal for the run that follows? * the cadence you push on the bike - you may find spinning at a higher cadence will make the run easier * nutrition/hydration
    * practicing bricks - getting used to running on tired bike legs. As mentioned above drilling bike/run/bike/run etc..will help.
    Like you I could run a 19min 5k but was around 22mins come a sprint tri..but with plenty of practice and getting in a better position on the bike I got it down to late 19s.
    Good luck
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    Thanks lads, so basically interval cycle/running sessions and possibly bike fit.
    I managed to refrain from going 100% on the bike and i avoided taking too much fluid,
    Still lower back and stomach was killing me and my speed. 25min for 5km is embarrassing. :roll:

Possible should also do more core strengthening or?
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    andiss wrote:
    Thanks lads, so basically interval cycle/running sessions and possibly bike fit.
    I managed to refrain from going 100% on the bike and i avoided taking too much fluid,
    Still lower back and stomach was killing me and my speed. 25min for 5km is embarrassing. :roll:

Possible should also do more core strengthening or?
    bike fit would be a waste of money - if you are already comfprtable on bike.

core stability work is useful, but not essential.

you need some decent interval sessions to get speed up
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I'd just like to say that I run the 5k in 25mins on a sprint race......sure I know it's not fast, but it's not embarrassing at all.....were not all natural runners!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    25 mins is about what I'd do for a 5km sprint run leg..... er, how much are you hoping to shave off your time ?
    22.30 min
    25 isn't embarrasing, and knocking 2'30 off that wouldn't be a problem at all. you can do that with a few sessions and in your next event - run as fast as you can until you feel like you're gonna puke, then pick the pace up a bit.
    PS if you puke and keep going then thats even better - you'll be lighter and therefore faster!
    Need to try the puke running method, hasnt done that before, and i do need to loose a pound or 5