Home Chat General Chat

PSP22??? Is it the best??

Hi All,

I currently use PSP22 during all training and competing. During a 60 miler yesterday I started to 'flag' towards the end. I did a fair bit of eating but wondered if there was a drink out there that supplied more carbs/calories than PSP22??

What does everyone else use?? I have heard good things about Cytomax and High 5...........any comments or advise

Comments

• largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    I think High5 summer fruits is good, 47g per 500ml = 180kcal.

Currently on my 70.3 training rides, in any given hour I'm doing 47g in 500ml + 1/3rd of a Soreen = 416kcal per hour.

However (and others please feel free to tell me I've got this wrong)...

AFAIK you can only take on up to 300kcal per hour during exercise. So at some point you are going to bonk to a degree as you transition from stored glucose over to burning fat. After that transition period you should regain control.

Over distancing seems to be the only way I've found to push the limit out. I used to bonk for a period just after 50miles, but now I'm doing up to 70miles the 50's are so much easier with the same nutrition rate.

ade
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    300 cals/hour isn;t quite right, it varies depending on the individual, but can be between 300 and 600. This is what you need to find out during training. To much and your stomach can shut down, too little and it could be game over.

Mixing drink with Soreen is do'able, but you'll need to try running on it afterwards. Running with a stomach full of solid food doesn't suit most people, but again test it in training.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I've done all my long rides and runs up to a marathon this year all on liquid calories. Infinit blends allow you to customize a blend based on your needs and then alter it as necessary over time. I have one mix that I like for cycling (more protein) and another for running (more sodium, potassium and magnesium). I'll make up a concentrate of the powder say 6 scoops if it is a 4 hour cycle ride, then chase each sip with water which can be refilled as needed. Incredibly easy digestion, never feel hungry and haven't bonked yet. I like this stuff because it really is all natural mix of whatever ingredients you want.
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    Simple reply to the OP - High5 carbo mix for me, every time. I've tried quite a few over the last few years. Their gels suck though.
  • GrahamRGrahamR Posts: 15
    In my training and sprints I've been getting used to taking gels at transition and High 5 energy drink whilst on the bike but I recently heard something about having problems if you take 2 different types. their recommendation was to drink water and take more gels.

Is this something that any of you educated people have heard about? Obviously I've got away with it this so far but wanted to think a bit more carefully ahead of the Oly in June.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Cytomax is f'ing Awesome! I love it. Anecdotally - when using cytomax on a 10mile tempo session last year, i ran over 3mins quicker on the same course, in similar conditions than the week before without cytomax. Other training was virtually the same for both weeks. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but for me I think it is the future - that or it'll be banned for including something it shouldn't. I would add that I tend to be highly sceptical about all this sports nutrition voodoo.

I have however been doing a lot of my IM training on water, or SIS to try and get my body used to burning fat for fuel, and because the SIS was free. One downside to cytomax, it tastes very strange at first (a slightly milky aftertaste ) but you soon get used to it. I am not sure what the calorie content is for cytomax though i don't think it is that high - so other cals would be needed elsewhere.

I do plan on taking 2 bottles of it to IM with me, and will aim to get the cals from the supplied sports drink, gels and bars. Well, that's my plan anyway, I just hope it works!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    P.S really it is such an individual thing the best thing to do it to try it out and see what works and what doesn't.
    @GrahamR, I can and do mix gels, sports drink and other sports drinks on long training sessions. Quite often i will have 2 types of gel (powerbar *Yuk* and SIS Go gel plus sometimes ride shots) a powerbar, some soreen, cytomax, sis and water. I know that my body can deal with this on th ebike, and i've always been ok on the runs off this (total session about 5hrs).
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've been having nutrition probs on the bike.

Eventually narrowed it down to High 5. Stopped taking the H5 and stomach cramps gone.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    you shouldnt need gels on a sprint.......maybe an energy drink if you take longer than 80mins...other than that you should be fine on water alone.

longer races then you can take both gels and energy drink but not at the same time, when taking gels use water to wash them down. this stops you over carbing your stomach.

An endurance athlete needs between 300-600cals/hr. but the critical thing is that you can only absorb 60g of carbs an hour as rough figure +/- 5% take on board more than this and you risk nutrition issues later on.

All the products from all the different companies claim this and that and that they are better than one another. end of the day they are all basically the same and its personal preference.
    if there was a product that was the best ever then dont you think that all the pro's would use the same one???

but no, all the pro's use what they get on with.

Its down to yourself as to what product suits you....I would always recommend high 5 stuff because i dont get on with SiS energy drinks....but then i know that shadow above doesnt get on with high 5 and uses something else