Home Chat General Chat

90 Km bike ride advice wanted

Dear all,

I have signed up for a hilly 90 km bike ride this coming Sunday and, despite knowing that you should not be trying anything new on a ride/race day, have now started thinking about food and drinks for the ride. My training has been terrible due to travel and bike problems so I expect the ride to be far harder than it should be but does anyone have any advice on nutrition/drinking strategies that will be of assistance to get me through the day with enough left in the tank to put on a brave front at the finish line? It is many years since I have ridden this distance so any help appreciated...

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    if you don't need to run afterwards, or swim beforehand 90k is not that bad!

have a good breakfast, have plenty of water on the bike and maybe mix in a little powered sport drink too.
    As well as that 2 or 3 power bars or something else cheaper with a few hundred cals of carbohydrate will keep you going. Hell pack a few sandwiches and take them...especially if your not worried about your time.

I really don't think you need much to just cycle 90km.....
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I'd go with okenny, 90km is do'able. For me, I'd go with a good breakfast. On the bike I'd have a bottle of water and a bottle of sports drink (Gatorade, 150 cals), that'll give you 1.5 litres of fluid, so if the weather is like it is today, it shouldn;t be too hot, so you won't sweat too much. Assuming you average around 25kph, then you'll be out for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, and averaging about 500cals/hr, you're looking at burning up 2000 cals.

On top fo the fluid, I'd probably take three bananas (300 cals), a four gels (500 cals), that'll give you just over 1000 cals. A banana on the hour washed down with Gatorade, and a gel half an hour after the banana washed down with water.

If you don't like bananas/gels, then try a loaf of Soreen (700 cals).
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Not to get too technical but 2 fabulos bakin boys double choc chip muffins and 2 drinks, water and sports drink of your choice, plus a few bits of soreen. If its hilly it may hit your average speed dep on how good you are with hills and the weather too. So i'd take an emergency gel or two and some money to buy a bacon sarnie when you finish
  • Thank you all for your ideas - I especially like the chocolate chip muffin diet but I am pretty sure if I start eating those while I'm riding then the urge to stop for a cup of tea will overwhelme me... I aim on fitting the second flask holder to the bike (I usually only travel with one) and having water & energy drink on board and some bananas/gels/energy bars in my pockets. It has snowed here (norway) today again so I am just hoping for a bit of sunshine during the ride. I do not intend to do too much this week leading up to the ride - perhaps a quick ride tomorrow and Friday just to turn the legs over but I am afraid that the training horse has well and truly bolted
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I rode a shade over 90km on Mon in 4hrs 20min & only drank the top quarter of my ribena... dunno what happened there, just did not get hungry.
    Ran & swam in the morning breakfast after was 2 bagels & peanut butter with honey & a new (to me) brand of porridge which seemed to expand in my belly & keep me full all day.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Tell us britspin, what is this secret brand of porridge? Im a regular Sainsburys own brand user and I like it cos it only takes 5 min to soak up the hot water.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The new almost wonderfood is...http://www.mccanns.ie/

Takes a good while to cook tho...30mins, hence the bagels whilst I waited!
  • Just an update - did the 90 kms today and used gels and energy bars (two of each) and still had enough in the tank to ride home so the total distance would have been a bit over 95kms. Only two things really annoyed me - firstly I lost my chain 4 times during the trip when changing up to the big ring. And this on a bike that has just had the LH brifter upgraded from 105 to Ultegra so the bike shop man is going to have bleeding ears on Tuesday... The second thing was a numpty mistake causing a slow motion topple over when trying to clip in the second pedal on a slight uphill with very tired legs

Once again, thank you for your suggestions (and I had porridge for brekky!)