Home Chat General Chat

First Race

AtomicAtomic Posts: 126

OK.............It's been a long time coming but I finally have my first ever race on Sunday Morning at the Cheshire Sprint. I've got a start time of 08:38 in the morning and am just going through everything I think I need.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips for things that I may overlook/forget.

I think I am ready for the race mentally but will probably start to panick about things at the last moment.

Is there many more from this website racing here?

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Get your kit ready the night before - and double-check it.
    Get up in plenty of time to get breakfast (nothing too heavy) down you..and stay well-hydrated.
    Get to the tri with plenty of time to spare to set up in transition, check out where the pool is, how you get into transition from swim, how you exit for bike, how you enter from bike and how you exit for run. Run through in your mind how you are going to do this.
    If you haven't checked out the bike course for hills, straights, bends, junctions etc maybe give it a quick drive (could do this before you arrive at the venue)
    Have plenty of obligatory toilet visits, try a light jog, spin on bike and loosen the arms.
    Most of all enjoy it! And make sure you have a few cold drinks waiting at home for the post-debut celebrations!
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Atomic

jac+1 & don't forget to enjoy the day.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Ultimately, enjoy popping your Tri cherry, you'll only get to do it once. Don't worry about times, the whole day will be a big learning experience, and you'll leanr more in the 90 minutes of the race, then you've probably learnt so far.

As to tips, check and couble check everything. Lay out your transition at home, and walk through what you;re going to do, and then do it again, and again. Put the kit in reverse order of putting it on, so helmet on bike with straps over the side, and front of helmet towards you, then you just pick it up, put it on, do it up. No looking around for which whay it should go, ar getting the straps caught up inside.

Glasses inside helmet, again opn, and facing the right way.

Number belt on top of glasses, and done up. They are elastic, so just step into it. too many people waste too much time trying to do the buckle up in T1, they are elastic for a reason.

Liberally sprinkle talc into both your cycling and running shoes, is makes it so much easier for wet feet to get into.

Forget nutrition and hydration, it's only a sprint, if you need a drink, you'll probably get one on the run.

Think how you racking your bike. It's easier to have it hung on the back of the saddle with front pointing outwards. Then it's just unhook and run, no need to three-point-turn the bike. Run with the bike by holding the saddle, it's easier to steer, and run on the left of the bike, you need to keep your ankles/calves away from the chain rings.

Back into T2, then rack the bike by the handlebars, again, no need to turn the bikem making sure your trainers are on the left of the bike, as that's where you'll be. Helmet off, shoes on, and out onto the run course.

If you;ve got any queries on the day, just ask, you'll find the 99% of others will offer all the assistance you need, and the other 1% aren;t worth knowing.

Smile, enjoy yourself, thanks the marshalls, and report back. Good luck.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    If you have a distinctive bright towel, use that to mark your spot, I couldnt find my bike last weekend and it adds stress for a second. Have your kit on the towel but leave enough room to stand on the towel when you get there and to be able to use your one foot to hold the wetsuit down as you pull the other one out. Doing this on a towel means youre not trying to do this on the tarmac and dries the feet a smidge before getting on the bike. You'll be fine, but good luck!
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    Atomic, is this the fun2tri event at nantwich with the outdoor pool?
    if so cheshire has 2 seperate transition areas, leave plenty of time to make sure you know where they are. After registration leave you trainers, towel and i suggest a water bottle (as the weekend is going to be very warm), in T2 and note the rack number (its the large area by the finishing line.)
    Then head down to the pool on your bike, about 500mtrs away...the ride down will help you calm down a little ...T1 at nantwich is very small and congested, no room for a box really, just lay your bright towel out and as others have said & setup up your gear. (the organisers will get your bag back to you)
    There are plenty of toilets within the swimming complex for last minute nerves (if full, head to the shower areas, loads of toilets in there also)...you will get a briefing by the poolside where you also pick up your swim cap...
    If you have anyone with you they are allowed poolside, handy if you want them to carry any extra goggles etc...
    The run round the park is usually 4 laps and support is very good...enjoy every shout of encouragement you will have earned it!...good luck
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I believe it is a brine pool...fresh water in T1 is a must to get that salty taste out of your mouth.
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126

Thanks for the advice all.

I've got to the site for the race and had a quick recce.

There is indeed two seperate transition areas and the bike course doesn't look too taxing. Quite flat for the first half and a little bit more bumpy for the second.

I think I've got everything together so all that's left is to get a decent nights kip before the morning.

A big shout out and good luck too anyone else racing this weekend.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Remember to breath when your swimming .

You'll be fine after that

Good luck