Home Chat Race Chat

The Marshman Series of races

wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
Is anyone else booked in to do any of the races on the 16th May??

The only reason that I ask is that I'm booked in for The Marshman and am finding their website particularly lacking in information!

I've checked my race booking and it doesn't give any info such as start time etc, which is kinda annoying me as I'm trying to plan the weekend.

The site says there is a link to race info but I can't find it!

Anyone got any better info than me???

Please help. . . . . . .

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I am - the organiser sent an email this week confirming start times etc - are you doing the sprint? the start times are as follows:

6.45am Marshman+ (from Transistion)

7.00am Marshman 1/2 – Wave 1

7.10am Marshman 1/2 – Wave 2

7.20am Marshman 1/2 – Wave 3

8.00am Mini-Marshman (possibly 10 minutes earlier)

If you are in the Marshman then you will just have to check your wave when you register the day before/that morning (better to go the day before). If you don't have the email, i'd contact Mike at Velocity - he's normally very good at getting back to me - or I can forward you the email if you pm me your addy
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Thanks a lot, I've had the email since my original post.

I'm doing the Half IM as part of my training for IMCH later in the year. Hopefully all goes well a week on Sunday, otherwise I'm in deep dodo!!
    ditto...but i foolishly thought because its flat i'd go for the 3/4...
    Hmm, I did consider it but thought that with the heavy trainign load that I have planned through May/ June, I'd be better off sticking with the half and not risking overdoing it.

Going to take a well earned rest, the week after the HIM, then hard at it until IMCH.

Bring it on!!!!
    So how did you get on? I managed to finish which was good, and faster than expected - had aimed for <9 hours, finished just over 8'30. Very pleased and feel fine today to train!
    Hi, apologies for the late reply but I've been away for a week since.

I went very well, much better than I expected which was a big confidence boost. I had aimed to take it very easy, for two reasons really.

1. I blew up big time at New Forest Middle Distance last year and having bonked badly struggled home in 7 hours 10.

2. I wanted to make sure I was well within lactate threshold and used gels etc throughout and really use it as a simulation for IMCH.

I gave myself a target time of 6 hours 30 minutes and amazed myself with 5 hours 47, which I was over the moon with. I felt good after and could have trained easily on the Tuesday had I not been having a week off and sunning myself in Menorca! The week off was a couple of hours run and a couple of hours sea swimming which was a nice change!!

Having said all of that, I thought the organisation was appalling. No race briefing to speak of, very sporadic marshalling, especially on the run (I heard of more than a few people getting lost), absolutely no atmosphere, no refreshments at the finish and a premium price for a 2* race. Pretty shoddy really and it smacked of someone that had put on a triathlon as a business venture rather than a club putting one on with marshals from the club etc.

I didn't enjoy the courses much either!! A-roads and dual carriageways aren't normally where I go for my training, specially not my running!!

I'd only ever go back if I wanted to improve a pb, certainly not for the scenery.

Having said all of that, I had a good race and enjoyed the flat course giving me a quick time, so I shouldn't moan too much albeit that I have!!!