Home Chat General Chat

Socks during competing

I expect this qestion has been asked a number of times but couldn't find it using the search function.

Do most people wear socks in their cycling shoes and running trainers when competing in Half distance and Ironman events. I did both half distance and Ironman events last year but wore socks. I did try doing a super sprint triathlon without socks and got blisters. I see there are triathlon specific running trainers like Zoot that are designed for not wearing socks.

What are people's thoughts?

I do suppose it depends on the weather during the event. I am doing the Nice Ironman event this year so can pretty much guarantee that it will be hot for that.

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    HIM and above I would wear socks......now for HIM I would only wear socks for the run, trying to put socks on wet feet takes all day....you would prob be back in T2 by the time you get them on in T1! lol.....
    For any longer distance tri's you have time to dry your feet before putting them on so I would cycle in socks too for IM.

It takes practice not to wear socks, harden your feet up etc.....run without socks in training, after a few runs and a few blisters your feet should be ok. If your shoes are knackered though they will always give blisters. Tri specific shoes are no different to normal trainers and will still give you blisters.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I don't use sock in standards or sprints. I use vaseline on the area where the toes are and I also put vaseline round the area of the ankle.
  • mickwoodmickwood Posts: 93
    I'd wear sock all the time. I roll the socks inside out, leaving just the 'toe section'. Then it's just a case of putting toes in and rolling the sock back out. Not been a problem for me yet, even with wet feet and cold hands!
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I did 90k on the bike and a 5k run yesterday, no socks, no problem.
    If you're lucky and the shoes allow that, it's great!

Hate putting on socks in transition....
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Big softy socks me...
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    being a bit of a wuss, i wear socks for anyhing over a sprint on the run (i don't like blisteres and my running shoes can rub a bit) I wear socks on the bike for longer distances
  • I consider that I am only really competing with myself (no podium finishes in my future ..or past for that matter) so I always wear socks as I find it more comfortable. My swim, bike and run times are still awful but I would now be a potential olympic medal prospect in both long and short sock application!
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Have never worn socks.
    The feet soon harden up.
    Try both and see what suits you.
  • MrTimMrTim Posts: 13
    I've worn socks in both my tri's so far, but I might risk going without next time. My transistion times are terrible, and doing away with socks seems to be an easy way of lopping 30 seconds off!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I always thought I could never run without socks until I started wearing Asics Noosas which have a sueded heel with a liberal application of bodyglide on the inside of the shoe. Try sockless on a short training run, treadmill is ideal as you can stop the instant of any discomfort and before you get a blister. I think anything above 10K I (personally) would wear socks.
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    Finding the right shoes will help a lot.

I always run in Saucony Fastwitch for sprint and olympic without socks. The shoes are very soft, especially around the heel and ankle, also help a little for pronation. For non pronation use the Saucony A3's, they are supposed to be as soft as the Fastwitch.
    Anything longer and I will wear socks with racing flats.