Home Chat General Chat

Is it a good idea to learn swim technique in a wetsuit?

dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
I have tried to learn good technique for the pool, but find getting the right body position very difficult. After about a year of trying, I still do not have a stroke that feels "right". I can do 1500 in pool in 31 mins, but have been stuck there for ages. It is not for want of practincing drills etc.

I think this is down to being very thin and having relatively long legs. I have read that this physiology makes swimming position alot more difficult, since your legs have a very strong tendency to sink/drag, and it is a constant battle to try and keep streamlined (which i tend to lose, or at elast end up focussing everying thing on that and not on the rest of the stroke).

However, in a wetsuit things seem alot easier due to extra buoyancy. I am considering dispensing with pool swimming (without a wetsuit) entirely, and focusing solely on getting the stroke right while wearing the wetsuit.

Has anyone else had similar problems, and has anyone else tried this potential solution?

many thanks for any thoughts.

dhcm

Comments

• Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    Take this with the usual caveats.

Before February this year, I hadn't swum for about 15-16 years! I looked at the Total Immersion system. I'm finding it very helpful and I'm attempting to make my stroke a bit more efficient. I bought the book from Amazon. But there are a few videos on Youtube from the guys there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tiswim?blend=2&ob=1
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    dhcm

Swimming in a wetsuit will help but will not cure the problem. Legs that drop & drag in the pool will often drop & drag in open water in a wetsuit.

As Race1 says have a look at the TI book. It has a lot on body balance. You may also find it useful to get someone to analise your technique.

For me the solution is to engage the core, swim tall & gently kick.

Many of us are in your position of having heavy legs compared with pure swimmers comming from running or cycling backgrounds and have just about got it sorted.

You should of course do regular open water swims in a wetsuit in preparation for races for a whole host of reasons.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    You need to become a better all round swimmer. Too often Triathletes get bogged down in doing crawl, and only crawl. Try mixing in some breastroke, backstroke and even buterfly. This will mean that you need to be able to adjust you balance in all strokes, and you'll find that your crawl will improve, and you'll be a more confident swimmer.

Don;t rely on the wetsuit to overcome any inadequacies, it;s the same as always swimming with a pull bouy. Yes it makes it easier, but take it away, and you're back to sqaure one.
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 11
    I would suggest that you need to learn to swim without a wetsuit and without a pull buoy first. A pair of fins will help to do kicking drills but in particular to help you focus on body position and what you are doing with your stroke. Good core strength also helps to keep your body horizontal and relaxing as much as possible will help you focus on a good technique. Don't try to go too fast until you feel comfortable