Home Chat General Chat

sore eyes

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete new commer to triathlon. Having taken the plunge and signed up for the london tri i have decided to do some training.

Things have been going well.

Unfortunately i,ve been having real problems with my goggles. I have been swimming approx 1500 meters twice a week comfortably, but am experiencing real pains where my goggles press against my face. I have tried loosening them and end up with leakage. Following a swim i look like a panda for about three hours.

I'm sure its just me being stupid or my y chromosome playing up.

Does anyone have any advice regarding a good pair of goggles or what im doing wrong.

Andy

Comments

• If you;re having to wear your goggles so tight that they hurt, they're obviously the wrong shape for you. I don't know what type you're using but try a few out - they're not expensive. For what it's worth I swear by Speedo Mariner, but your face will be different to mine. If all else fails, you could try a one-piece "mask" type product, but you'll look like a right nudger down the pool [;)]
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    What sort of goggles have you got at the moment?

The ones they normally sell at swimming pools are rubbish and it is well worth spending a bit of extra money to get some that actually work. I use Aquasphere ones and have had no problems with them.

Mike

• I've tried loads of goggles, as I have a similar problem. What works for me is goggles with a foam-like seal, such as Zoggs Neptunes. Hope you find some to suit! The mask style ones are okay too, but still leave marks and suck onto the face like a limpet!
  • When your wearing your goggles do you get slight leaks? If this is the case you may be slightly allergic to chlorine or it may just be very strong at your local.
  • This must be one of the most common problems ever. I have been swimming competitively for getting on 40 yrs and doing tri's for over twenty and am costantly asked for advice on goggles and this is the reply I give:- Everybody is individual, it doesn't matter how much money you spend on a pair they may not be right for you (I spend £2.99 on Speedo foam). Go to as many sports shops as you can find and ask to try on as many pairs as you can. Without puting the band round your head you should be able to gently push the eye pieces onto your face and when you let go they should just sit there under there own suction. If they pop off that means you are not getting an airtight hold and if they wont keep air out they certainly won't keep water out. I hope this is of some use to you.