Home Chat General Chat

why compete in triathlons?

Hi - i am doing some research and would appreciate some views from you all ...

1) Why Compete in triathlons? Is it because its a vaired sport? ie swin bike run or for fitness? enjoyment etc...

2) What is the goal of competing? to win, to meet new people, etc

3) is there any ideal sports nutrition anyone takes aswell as diet?

Any views appreciated - thank you!!

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    1/ I started out doing it for charity, in memory of my dad. But it became addictive and soon the competitor in me took over!
    2/ For me it would be to do the best I can.
    3/ Nutrition very much depends on distance. Personally I'm a big fan of Nuun tablets and High5 gels.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    1) Why Compete in triathlons? Is it because its a vaired sport? ie swin bike run or for fitness?
    For me its a test of character. You need to be disicplined in training and diet to be fit enough to do it, and once your in a race you need to remain focused or ull fail miserably, especially in long distance.

To finish and to improve each time i race.

I use PSP energy drink, and PSP gu gels.

Diet is to mainly avoid take aways, high fatty foods.
    Lots of veg, lean meat, pasta, rice and natural no preserative sauces (home made)
    And of course 5-6 pints of water a day.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Research for what & for whom?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    My rates for participating in market research is aprox £75 (depending on time taken)...
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    I'm still asking myself why I do this!!

usually during some horrible prolonged threshold training, I keep asking my self 'I'm I really enjoying this?'

Of course I am!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Good answer md, that is roughly what I say to the street muggers who catch me unawares or when I have some time to kill, I ask them how much they are paying for all my personal info, which I know will be sold on so I demand my cut & future royalties for each resale, I usually get offered a cup of coffee & the conversation ends there.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Like the logic Britspin ... a mate of mine got 'mugged' by a Scientologist who asked him 'what do you want from life?' ... reponse 'money, sex and power!' Scientologist 'ah but surely you want more that that?' .... response 'MORE money, MORE sex and MORE power'. Eric was not converted.

My responses:

1) Why Compete in triathlons? The first time because it seemed like a good idea at the time; my Dad was seriously ill, he had been fantastically fit, loved running and I had let my fitness slide, I had started back with my fitness training this seemed like a good goal and when I told him he said to me 'keep it up'. Subsequent to that? If you have done one you do not need to ask; what a rush, challenge, sense of achievement, the dichotomy of 'wow that was great' and 'what a wanker, you slipped up there, why did you not push it at that point, what were you thinking'.

2) What is the goal of competing? I am not going to win although my gameplan is to keep competing in the hope that I get to an age group where the competition has died off. I am a middle ranking age grouper and my goal is to do better than the last time, to overtake as many people as possible and allow as few to overtake me. Oh yes and most importantly to get the blingest kit so I look good on the photos

3) is there any ideal sports nutrition anyone takes aswell as diet? I try to avoid cakes, biscuits, chocolates ice cream etc and do not keep them in the house as I have absolutley no willpower and will scoff them. I have fruit with all my meals and go for low fat options wherever possible, switched from milk to Alpro soya and instead of my 9 pm glass of milk (since childhood) have a glass of Alpro with a strwaberry actimel, healthy sort of milkshake. Hi 5 Energy whilst competing
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    by Zacnici » 26 May 2010 10:13

in the hope that I get to an age group where the competition has died off
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    Why compete in Triathlons ?

Why compete in horse trials, sailing, motorcross or skeleton bobsleigh etc . . .

Why not compete in Triathlons ???
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Answer A
    1) Why Compete in triathlons?
    Train for the variety, compete to benchmark my progress & push myself
    2) What is the goal of competing?
    As above to benchmark my progress, to benchmark my performance against others
    "ideal" is a pretty loose definition, but I'm a suplement freak, good diet plus protein, ground oats, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Answer B
    For the prestige, and the comments from people about how crazy I am to do it/ how fit I must be etc. Basically for the respect, admiration, and envy of joe public
    So I can extract as much money from said Joe Public as possible, in the form of sponsorship for an extremely good cause - see signature below.
    Soreen
  • Morg007Morg007 Posts: 54
    Samantha37 wrote:
    Hi - i am doing some research and would appreciate some views from you all ...

1) Why Compete in triathlons? Is it because its a vaired sport? ie swin bike run or for fitness? enjoyment etc...

Any views appreciated - thank you!!
    1 - my late cousin had been fighting cancer and was tragically given 18 months so I wanted to raise money for the hospital but didn't want to do a one off but do something that involved hard work over a few months and had seen an episode of scrubs with a triathlon in it and thought that sounds hard enough! but after doing it I enjoyed it so decided to start doing them as I had felt fitted and loved the buzz of compeeting

2 - simply to have show steady improvement every year with better times etc my long term goal is a sub 2hrs 30mins time at olympic distance

3 - I use orange flavoured gatorade - it tastes good and isn't too rich like some drinks as its more watery so it helps with the feeling of thirst better. I use lucazade gels for rides/races every 30-40 mins dependent on how I feel more than anything. I've also recently become tee total and have noticed that has helped greatly during training etc But need to watch what I eat in regards carbo/protein levels as I do tend to eat too much carb based foods.
  • simonknoppsimonknopp Posts: 7
    Hi, can't resist a survey!

a) Got really bored of running everyday, found that having three disciplines keeps me motivated.

b) As above, competition keeps me motivated,it satisfies a desire to test myself against others and I also enjoy the comments from non triathletes who are always in awe of the distances.

c) I find sports nutrition to be a bit of a con, in general the science espoused by the companies to entice us is weak at best and utter rubbish at worst. Very similar to the way beauty/shampoo products are sold.
    I keep fit to enable me to deny myself nothing. It's the ying and yang of it.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I love cycling, love running and wish i was a better swimmer - so its for personal gain
    to see what is possible
    minimal, powerbar gels during events but no diet supplements