Home Chat General Chat

Seat carry vs handlebar

I'm still puzzled by the insistence everywhere that in transitions you should run with your bike holding the saddle. It always described as the "easiest" way.

Anytime I've tried my bike goes all over the place as I've little control over the front end, so I've always stuck with running holding the handlebars.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this poor Triathlon form? Do I look like a noob?

What do you all do - seat or bars?

Comments

• I always find it easier to push the bike from the seat rather than the handle bars but you have to be comfortable doing it and it is much easier if the path is flat as sometimes the front wheel can be knocked off course by stones/cobbles/other triathletes etc. I haven't really thought about it much but on reflection I suppose that it's really about finding the balance point so that the front wheel does not just flop about. If you decide to try it in a race then it probably deserves a bit of practise as it has the capacity to go horribly pear shaped and waste some time if things go wrong (and perhaps not just your time but some of your fellow competitors too).

Good luck!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Depends on the bike -

My road bike I have to use the handlebars, otherwise it just goes in crcles

My TT goes in a straight line and I can use the seat.

Do what is best for you
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    TT bike will track nice and straight but in a tight transition with people all around hold the stem to swerve around all the people staggering around after the swim
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    to be honest - I've tried a few ways and if I have my shoes clipped in then push and pick up by the seat, but i i have my shoes on then by the handle bars.

You see it all the time where people are running and pushing by the seat and their shoes will hit the floor and cause the bike to 'hiccup'! and potentially loose control. esspecially into T2 when you can't use elastic bands to hold them anymore....