Home Chat General Chat

Credit crunch survival

ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
So at work the conversation turned to tightening belts etc. Collegaue remarked 'how have you managed with your house move and starting up virtually from scratch?'

I replied I sought bargains when buying beds, mattresses etc, looked for online deals, voucher codes, money off introductory offers, bought BOGOFFs on things that I will use, I have 6 months supply of toilet paper from a clearance sale, slept on a camp bed for 2 weeks until I got the bed and mattress deal I wanted, waited 8 weeks to get a TV at a smackdown price as I knew a new model was coming out and it would be heavily discounted, bought an upscaling Freeview recorder instead of Sky or cable, Post office telephone & broadband for £20 month etc.

Collegues pretty impressed at my money saving savvy.

Of course I din't tell them that whilst sleeping on a camp bed I bought a carbon frame, new chainring, pedals, front derailleuer, 2 pairs of running shoes and a tri suit ... they just wouldn't understand .

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    It's just about prioritising . . .
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    TRIumphant wrote:
    It's just about prioritising . . .
    So so true - with enough sports kit to exhaust you its possible to sleep anywhere, maybe the camp bed was a luxury
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Huwd, you're right ... a camp bed, I must be getting soft in my old age.

I must add that my planned expedinture for both the house and tri items had been planned for some months and budgets set. When the time came to implement the purchasing schedule I did a final cost/benefit analysis and was able to revise some spending plans, trimmed a bit off some purchases, added to others and ultimately saved about £800 on my house budget and almost £750 on by tri budget, yes I underspent .. no bling carbon wheels ... unless someone can give me a compelling reason why a set of Planet X Pro Carbon 50's would be a distinct advantage over Easton EA70's for a middle ranking age grouper (please)
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Zacnici wrote:
    I ... ultimately saved ... almost £750 on by tri budget, yes I underspent
    Herecy
    I know - I'm sorry ... but I was talking to a mate in the LBS along with the owner and a customer and they were all of the opinion that I need to get some carbon wheels. I know they will not make one iota of difference to my performance; it is madness really I don't know why I'm contemplating it other than some unexplained compulsion. So I may spring for a set of Planet X 50s http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBP ... %28pair%29 or stick with Easton and get EA90 Aero TTs http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... ncy&id=GBP. I suppose I could justify it on the basis that I saved money on the frame and would just about be on or even under budget. Bugger ... I suppose I will have to up the training so that I don't look a complete twerp riding this bling bike.

Reality check - blingness aside would they make any difference over my existing Easton EA70s? Probably not ... oh dear - confused ... will they be really faster for a middle ranking age grouper? If so are we talking about 0.5Km/hr? 1Km/hr?

I think Gary Roberts summed it up ...
    Its easy, its the same answer I tell myself when buying anything really. For example, It doesn't really matter if the tv i'm looking at has 200htz picture quality, because after 15 seconds of watching the bloody thing it'll look the same to me as every other telly i've ever watched, and therefore the 20hta is largely irrelevant. The answer however, is yes, i NEED it, because its the latest and greatest and best and most expensive = better = faster = happier = MORE.

That's why we need carbon. (not because we really need it, because we don't. but because we want the best - even if it make little or no difference in the real world).

Oh yeah.......and we like to look good
    I am suitably admonished and repent the heinous error I have made in doubting whether I should buy additional carbon bling.