Home Chat General Chat

ironman lanzarote 2011

What bike to use at Ironman Lanzarote TT Bike or Road bike with clip on tri bars ?

barry

Comments

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    i did the course 3 weeks ago on a road bike no tri bars.

Im not great at climbs on a tri bike and there were some tough climbs which i was glad to have the road bike for. However on some of the stretches I wished I had a tri bike to help conquer the headwinds, especially when heading to yaiza to puerto b

road bike with clip ons could be the way to go.

have a look at this.. http://www.ironmate.co.uk/ironman-lanzarote.htm
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    A mate of mine has just done it and posted a near 6hr split on a road bike.
    If you can climb well on a TT bike and have a good gear ratio then go for that.
    Otherwise, as Ironkav says, put some bars on your road bike.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    The Ironmate website is good. But what is very worrying is that its class as a very difficult ride due to the 5000+ feet of ascent.

even more worrying because the UKIM has 7100ft. uh oh!
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    5000ft? dont remember that.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    TT every time.......thats what im using at IM UK just using an 11-26 cassette...sub 5:30.....lol
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    I did it in 2009 and used a full aero bike with deep sectiosn wheels. There is no doubt that it is the right way to go, even though there are some tough climbs there are also some long flat stretches and some great downhill bits where you can hit 75kph +. Aero all the way
  • billabongbillabong Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the advice, would I be right in saying a TT bike is better if you are a stronger rider but otherwise a good road bike is best. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am currently considering buying a Kuota Kueen-K. thanks again b
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I would possibly say yes........

They are different beasts to ride up hills on, plus unless your a confident at decending then your gona waste loads of time on a TT due to the fact your gona be sat up on the hoods on a TT if you are not confident. Road bike at least your can tuck in on the drops and still have a stable platform to steer. Aerobars tend to need a little more skill to descend fast on as you tend to have to lean further into corners, shift weight around the saddle and be willing to throw it around more...

Thats what I find anyway....