Home Chat General Chat

SICK AFTER THE BIKE ?

Looking for some help please. 1st year in (novice tri) and have done pretty well with 2 wins but haven't been able to enjoy as puked at the end of the 1st one (direct result of pushing v hard throughout) and today could've been sick again only 200m into the run. Have done few brick sessions in training but either they aren't tough enough or my nutrition isn't working (based on half marathon approach/timings)...........any thoughts as I need to move to sprint v shortly.............?????

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    2 wins - 2 pukes - As they say you have left nothing on the track.

1st puke, I would put down to your magnificent effort and probably the same for the second. Could be a nutrition/hydration problem, I presume you didn't have a vindaloo and ten pints last night, can you tell us what you ate/drank and when from waking up? Did you take on water, drink at T1 and T2? Did you use any gels? They can throw your tummy off.
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    When and what are you eating prior to and during your event?

I tend to feel sick if I've eaten within 2 hours of training.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    When I trained when I was younger, I did a physical test which made me sick every time.

I think it's becasue you're in your lactic thresh hold for too long. so no puke = slow down....

Nice one on the wins.
  • rockytrirockytri Posts: 2
    Nutrition as follows;

2hr 45 before race, Peanut Butter & Banana Bagel (Sesame Seed), 2 lites of water from waking, 250 mls of lucoz sport in hr before swim along with a couple of carbo jelly sweets then 250ml lucoz zport during the bike leg (9miles)...................Nothing new but maybe bike effort is too much ?!?!?!?!?

many thanks for any ideas/alternatives
  • Peanut Butter & Banana Bagel
    yes....I'd puke too if I ate that!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I used to vomit in nearly every training session and after every race when I was a track sprinter - I think that's purely down to effort. Not eating for a long time before the session proved to be a poor way to fix it as my energy levels were lower as a result, and dry retching is just painful!

I have been ill in triathlons as well - this is always down to nutrition, for me. I now make sure that I don't eat much in the 2.5 hours before a race, and even then, keep to simple carbohydrates. Also, I drink plenty but reduce the volume in the last hour before the race. If you're vomming at the finish line, then that's perhaps not too much of an issue. But puking on the bike or run is disruptive.