Home Chat General Chat

slow cycle

Hello,

You were all so helpful last time when I was looking for running tips (which made a big difference to me, thanks) I thought I would fish for bike improvement advice now.

I did my first OD today, and got flung out of the sea midfield, which was good I thought. However, I absolutely couldn't live with anyone on the bike, and the rest of the field passed me.

What do I have to do to go faster ? Is it just more practice ? I've only seriously been riding since April, having got my first decent bike then. My bike is a Felt ZW40, which is a nice bike, but nothing like as fancy as some of the other specimens on display today - however, as I have seen on threads before, it's the engine pushing it along that counts surely ?

Comments

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Hi,
    It really is just time on the bike. Like running though you need to do differenct types of rides:

interval, Long distance, and hill climbing.

I've notice a massive diference this year....

Last year my A race was the Plymouth OD. THis year I am training for the IM and my first race of the season was Penzance OD. I found it really easy, I was SOoooo much faster on the bike.

So plan in those different types of rides in your training and it will get better....

Good Luck
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    You may simply need to get your bike muscles worked in more. Just need to get on the bike alot for a period. Ride for as long as you have time for and go as hard as you can, at least 3 times a week for 4 weeks. Take a few days rest and then see how you are.
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    Thank you, I'll get cracking !

I think I have identified a definite issue today as well, I don't try hard enough ! I thought I would ache or be a bit sore after yesterday, but not a single twinge ! I am not taking this as a sign of amazing athletic prowess, but that I should have given it more yesterday !

Do you think training with a heart rate monitor would help ? Or thrashing up and down on shorter routes and building up the distance gradually ?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    101susy,

Have you only just started cycling this year or did you come from a cycling background etc?

I would say that you may some small gains this year but not much. You can go out and spend £x on whatever gear you want but the fact of the matter is that the flashiest car in world is useless without the engine to go with it and the same is true for cycling. However, as others have pointed out there is some gear I would really recommend, clip in pedals as these will give you benefits

What I would say is that if you can afford it, get a coach that way you can develop the muscles needed to improve your cycling. Last year my training consisted of going for a swim or cycle or a run, now my sessions are structured and have a purpose in mind. I now feel I'm getting somewhere.
    One of the key factors was the work that I done in the winter - ie I got a decent base training under my belt, this has meant aerobically I'm able to go for longer, now I can work on speed.

So my advice would be to consider a coach, very much so as you will notice massive gains that trying to train yourself. Ofcourse coaches can be expensive and there are oodles of on-line progs out there as well that can help but bear in mind that these will be generic and aimed at everyone whereas a coach will give you a prog thats aimed at you.

Also bear in mind that you need to look at other elements of the training and not just the cycling, ie running off the bike etc. A coach will help you with that. Can you get to a tri-club as they usually have loads of the coaches who can help you as well, unfort for me I can't get to my local tri club as I work and travel a lot so a coach was the best option for me.
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    Haha ! I like the idea of being able to put the wind up the Cervelo boys for the sake of 100 quid, that alone has given me a boost !

I was starting to think about aerodynamics, but I felt a bit nervous, as I am still pretty wobbly and the aero set up would make me even more precarious ! Thinking positively though, I do want to improve, and a couple of slight adjustments is going to make a huge difference, as well as loads more practice (which I am clearly not doing tonight, as I am on here, the North Sea having deposited something nasty in my eye !).

I hadn't considered coaching at all, great idea though, some of my friends have used a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to get them going on a regime, and it hasn't been mega££££, I'll look into that too.

I did think about joining a club, there is one about 15 miles from me and they sometimes let me join in with their swim sessions, which is very generous of them. Like you shadow1, work gets in the way (I work shifts and weekends) and it seemed a bit unfair to join when I could hardly commit to anything, plus it seemed a bit mad to drive 15 miles for a run !

The boys in the bike shop (Cyclelane in EK) were very helpful though, and I will probably take it back there for tweaks !

I'll let you know how I get on, plus I need more goals now having achieved my sub hour 10k and my first OD. I know you'll really laugh if I tell you how long my 42km bike took me, so my aim will be to knock 15 mins off.

Thank you everyone !
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You won't find anyone laughing here - we've all done it! And you have also made some useful contacts - excellent.

Some little tips cost not a penny, e.g. water bottle placement. In this article:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... ttles.html
    having an ordinary £2 drink bottle on the down tube over a 40Km course can save almost 30 secs compared to having none at all and more effective than having it on the seat tube but having bottles on both the down and seat tubes is adverse. If you then splashed out (no pun intended) £20 for an aero bottle you would only save an extra 5 secs. Admittedly with a Profile bottle there is ease of use and uninterrupted rythm but on a pure time saving basis the Profile gives a diminishing return for the extra cost.

Just think what you could then achieve with a more develpoed engine.

Good luck and keep posting.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    did think about joining a club, there is one about 15 miles from me and they sometimes let me join in with their swim sessions, which is very generous of them. Like you shadow1, work gets in the way (I work shifts and weekends) and it seemed a bit unfair to join when I could hardly commit to anything, plus it seemed a bit mad to drive 15 miles for a run
    You could always cycle down and then run with them - will improve your cycling too.

On the cycle front - practise practise practise - get some miles in - If you can try get out with a club and tag on the back for the longer rides - within a few sessions your average speed will be well up and when you are out on your own you will try to get to those speeds - in time it will come