Home Chat Race Chat

London Mazda Tri

Does anyone know why the partcipant numbers have dropped this year. We have charity places available, and normally we have sold out by now, but we still have some left??? whats happening. Does anyone still need a place???

Comments

• jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    I'm a bit put out by Charities buying loads of places to events.
    As an Athlete wanting to compete in an event I should be able to pay my fee & enter but as most of the allocation is taken by the charities that is not always possible.
    I then have to bear the burdon of raising a rediculous amount of money in order to compete in my sport.

I'm all for raising money for charity don't get me wrong, I have just completed an event and raised funds for Macmillan Nurses but that was my choice & paid my own entry fee.
    I feel that it should be a choice by the competitor not Charities cornering the market to these high profile events.

Sorry If it's not what you want to hear but that is my opinion only and others may share a different view.
    Hope you get some other athletes views on why they think the numbers are low.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Like Jamewah, Ive also done many charity events so Im all for people giving it a go, but personally, London is an awful event. Ive done it twice now and vowed never again. Its huge, meaning it caters to the beginners and charity places, which is fine, but the location is diabolical. I live in London and the simple logistics of doing this race are ridiculous. If you get an unlucky start time, you have to rack the day before, which means either dealing with london traffic for 2 days in a row, or trying to use public transport (but hang on, no bikes allowed!) WTF?! Then doing the race is fine, but getting home means sitting in traffic for hours, or cycling to the nearest overland line, getting reasonably near home and cycling the rest. After completing an OD tri? And im supposedly local. I feel sorry for any poor souls coming from further afield.

Give me Windsor or any smaller event anyday!
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    I should be able to pay my fee & enter but as most of the allocation is taken by the charities that is not always possible.
    If you had wanted to enter, you had plenty of time. The vast majority of the allocation is taken up by individuals not charities.

There is no excuse for not getting into London. Unlike some IM races which sell out within 24 hours a year in advance.

I would tend to agree that a grand is a big ask to raise in the current ecconomic climate.

I am hoping though that if places haven't sold out it is due more to the cost of the event, and that people are finally starting to vote with their feet. £85-90 for a tri is bloody steep, but while they consistantly sell out, the price will remain high.

I enjoy the event, despite the logistical issues. But if the price goes up any more, I'm out.
  • jameswah +1, after a number of years in the sport, london still tops the list of events never to do again,
    as with the charity thing, it will end up like the london marathon, where the regular competitors dont bother entering and stick to local events.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Did anyone try and get out of the car park last year?
    I won't be back. Big Ben or no Big Ben route.
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    charity places for events are way to expensive now.
    If you look to collect less money then you have a chance of getting more people.