Home Chat General Chat

Sick after the weekend tri!

Gadzooks,

Did Chester tri at the weekend and now feel sick as a dog.

Time was good, as it was my first OD, and did it in 2.30ish.

Had the typical muscle stiffness, but now my stomachs doing loops, and I have a fever. I guess overdoing it has left me open to child hosted illnesses.

Thinking about it I seem to get ill after comps fairly regularly. Do others get the same?

Still enforced rest comming my way.

Comments

• BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Well done on your time! Hmm, dunno but I seem to never go longer than a month without picking up some kind of lurgy (prob from the general public as I work in a shop), spend 1-2 weeks feeling rubbish and bunged up / achey then get about 1 1/2 weeks of feeling good and enjoying training. This has been going on for over 6 months now and I even got blood tests etc done which came back negative for anything. Someone told me that training a lot can leave you with a depleted immune system even if you try to do the right things like eat properly.... Problem is if it is 'just a cold' do you decide to not train at all or carry on but accept that you won't do as well time/strengthwise?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Bex,

Perhaps you need to think about how long you wait till training. I'm similar to you in that I seem to pick up everything that goes around. I used to go back training about 1 day after feeling better when with all intents and purposes the virus was still in the system then bang I'd be ill again.

Now I leave it a good few days after I feel better to ensure that the virsus has left the system. I don't train now when I feel ill.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    SNAP.

I did triathy olympic last saturday (2.39).

Woke up Sunday with a swollen throat.
    Woke up Monday with a rather sore head. (Bank Holiday)

Been taking COld & Flu tablets all week along with DIphlam spray for my thoat.

Been 6 days and no exercise and starting to feel better. IM Switzerland on the 25/7 hope this doesnt affect me too much.

Rest is good though.

IK
  • FirestarterFirestarter Posts: 120
    Macclad wrote:
    Gadzooks,

Did Chester tri at the weekend and now feel sick as a dog.

Time was good, as it was my first OD, and did it in 2.30ish.

Had the typical muscle stiffness, but now my stomachs doing loops, and I have a fever. I guess overdoing it has left me open to child hosted illnesses.

Thinking about it I seem to get ill after comps fairly regularly. Do others get the same?

Still enforced rest comming my way.

Your body is probably not used to the amount of exertion in one go, therefore your immune system will be compromised. You have a bug.

That said is there anything you do on race day that you dont do in training (nutrition wise) it could be very simply traced as if it only occurs after races you should be able to narrow it down.

or

HTFU
    Hmmm interesting. Maybe 220 should do an article by doctors etc about the effects of bugs and advice on nutrition/recovery ideas?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    all

All on the glorious interweb:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/inju ... munity.htm
    too much intense exercise can reduce immunity. This research is showing that more than 90 minutes of high-intensity endurance exercise can make athletes susceptible to illness for up to 72 hours after the exercise session. This is important information for those who compete in longer events such as marathons or triathlons.

Intense exercise seems to cause a temporary decrease in immune system function. Research has found that during intense physical exertion, the body produces certain hormones that temporarily lower immunity.

Cortisol and adrenaline, known as the stress hormones, raise blood pressure and cholesterol levels and suppress the immune system. This effect has been linked to the increased susceptibility to infection in endurance athletes after extreme exercise (such as marathon running or Ironman-distance triathlon training).

If you are training for ultra-endurance events, a key component of your training should be including enough rest and recovery days to allow your body (immune system) to recover. If you are feeling run-down or have other symptoms of overtraining syndrome --such as increased resting heart rate, slower recovery heart rate, irritability or general heaviness and fatigue -- you may need to tone down your workouts as well.

If you are already ill, you should be careful about exercising too intensely. Your immune system is already taxed by fighting your infection, and additional stress could undermine your recovery. In general, if you have mild cold symptoms and no fever, light or moderate exercise may help you feel a bit better and actually boost your immune system. Intense exercise will only make things worse and likely extend your illness.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Zacnici - you always get the best research out - amazing and thank you. While it is alll on the web, somebody needs to find and post it! Thank YOU!
  • MaccladMacclad Posts: 16
    I kind of figured that about the exhaustion, my cortisol and blood pressure were certainly very high during the tri!

I principally posted for a little sympathy - as non was forthcomming from MrsML.

I had gotten a little worried about weils disease, and its "double dip" nature. But my illness came on too quick (<24hrs). Although I was waiting to stop peeing and to go yellow!

Looking back, I think I had eaten an apple that had been partially munched by my snot riddled youngest. - a nice thought for you all! (it looked clean and you cant throw food away!)

Anyhow on the mend now and starting to nail some higher intensity sessions again.

Cheers
    ML
    Haven't logged in for a while but thanks for this info- looks good. Am currently in a snot-free zone so let's see how it is in a week or so!
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    This month's magazine has got an article about Post-Exercise Immunosuppression, which I have to say, has made an awful lot of sense to me, since I've been drowning in my own snot since the Castles Challenge two weeks ago (and the coldsores, eye infection, sore back and sore knee, near hospitalisation due to mystery night-time mega-pain that left me gasping for breath. It might be easier to tell you what HASN'T been wrong with me !).

Anyway, it says remember to eat your fruit and veg, hydrate yourself properly and rest ! Most of us are fitting this in around full time jobs, familes and trying to have a social life too !

I suppose the key is to know yourself, know your limits, know when you really have had enough. I know It's hard to stop when you are probably very competitive in nature though !
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I recall someone saying a definition of a hard core triathlete is someone who trains at 150% and never actually competes as he is always suffering from an injury, exhaustion, mystery bug etc.

These little niggles (or not so little) are natures way of telling you to slow down. Training puts 'good' stress on the body, overtraining stretches it beyond its elastic limit (wow remembered that, Hookes law - 40 years ago in school).

Get your diet right, make sure you get enough rest - without sounding like an old fart - I remember when I was a lad .... Sack going out on the pop for a week or so, go to bed early and give yourself a mega dose of TLC. When your immune system is back on track then build up your training again.

Susy I recall you work in close contact with the public, if you handle money a lot make sure you use antiseptic gel and wipes on your hands frequently, there are countless lurgs on money. Someone with a nasty gives you a fiver (have they washed their hands since they had a wee or poo?) you get a speck of dirt in your eye, you rub it ... wham eye infection.

If you are standing a lot that could explain the back problem, Pilates.

Can't vouch for these as just did quick search but cat stretch is a simple one
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=basic+ ... CCQQqwQwAA

I was suffering from my shoulder and neck and dropping painkillers 4 times a day for months and rubbing in gel, 3 months of Pilates and I have been 99.9% pain free since.