Home Chat General Chat

Windsor Tri - mileage accurate?

Did the Windsor tri on the weekend and was very pleased with the results. When I checked my Garmin 305 it shows the bike as 40.5k and the run as 10.25k. The offical stats are 42k bike and 10k run - any comments?

Question - this was my test race for my MD Cowman, but by the time I finiashed I was done. No issue with cardio, but my legs were like cement right from the beginning of the run. The bike did not feel that hard (I thought), but by the time I was running .... I do two or three brick runs a week, should it be that hard or do I simply have to pace myself better on the bike??

Comments

• JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    How hard do you ride before your brick runs, and how long are your transitions at home? Try making at least one of them at race pace or higher and then run at race pace off it.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Jellybaby - yes, you are right, I am not riding as hard in these longer bike training session of 3hrs+ as I would in a race and then run after wards also at lower than race pace. Reason is that the recovery time is so much longer. However, the shorter rides and brick runs I do similar to race pace, but maybe I have to go above race pace. Transition at home is only a few minutes, definitely below 10 minutes.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    If you can, try and get the transition time down to similar to what it is in races, certainly under 3 mins if you can. I set up my stuff before riding, so that I get back, put the bike indoors, change my shoes and off I go, normally takes about 2.5 mins. I do it quickly to mimic race pace, otherwise your legs get a bit too much recovery.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    With regard to distances, I didn't do Windsor this year, but in previous years my bike computer has calculated the cycle as being as close to 41k as makes no difference (not the 42k advertised) and I have heard many say that the run is actually 10.2k.
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    Please tell me that the extra 0.25 of a KM is making that much of a difference to you

Ref Bricks. I haven't done so many, but I do what Jellybaby says and have my shoes and hat (and mp3 player) all lined up just inside the front door ready. So the bike gets slung inside, I change shoes. Put on a cap and then run straight out the door. Pausing to lock it obviously

I spectated at Windsor, aside from the less than stellar road signs (all I saw were "Royal Ascot" ones) I will definetly do this one next year. As a newbie still, is racking normally done the day before? Only it's completely outdoors and I don't fancy the bike getting damp.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Well, Race1, it does make a difference (at least to me) when you are looking at your progress. For an average runner 250m could mean 1 min 15 secs difference or an average pace difference of 8 seconds per kilometre. Especially when you are looking at races to get a feel/info on your strategy, e.g. was that the right pace you could sustain for a HIM, etc.

So yes, accuracy of the distance is important, at least to me. For this race on the bike the difference is around 1k - again, that is quite a bit if you are analyzing your stats ... but then again other people might not be as detailed, each to their own.

I had a look back at my training transition times an they are maybe too long, anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes, so I will try to reduce this to under 3 minutes. Also, I think for HIM I have to look at a slower bike and run pace and be more consistent with my electrolyte intake (lost my Nuun water bottle as it shot out of my rear bottle cage behind the saddle right at the beginning of the cycle leg ... ).