Home Chat General Chat

Newbie ???'s AGAIN!

Hi, first post here..just spent the last 3 hrs reading the forum! I think the internet is only slightly more addictive than tri training. I have just entered my very first Tri (OD) and have a few newbie questions that I haven’t been able to find the answers for.

I won’t have any one with me during the race, so what do I do with my car keys? Is it safe enough to leave in the transition box?

Obviously your transition space is limited, do I bring in my essentials only or should I have my track pump etc standing by just in-case?

Wetsuit hire? Ideally I would like to rent a NEW one for the season and if I like it (the wetsuit, not the tri’s) buy it instead of returning it. I won’t buy any Orca, as my new Orca tri top literally fell apart as I put it on after just one wash. Any recommendations?

Many thanks

Comments

• MaccladMacclad Posts: 16
    I put my car keys under the wheel arch or with missus

In the tris I have done you can bring stuff into the transition, but keep your change area clear and stick any extra stuff in a bag and leave it way to one side (at the side of the transition). I guess some bigger events will be more tight on space, so you might have to play be ear.

Try the wiggle rent and return. It is an orca, but I got one last year, the fit was spot on and its held together fine for a season at least.

Hope that helps

M
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Car keys- pool based tri then I use the pool lockers and take the key out with me.

If I've no-one with me then the keys go into hiding. You could leave the keys in your saddle bag or something if you use one. Transition is supposed to be secure but there is always a risk. I'm fort that the missus comes to most of the events that i do.

Wet-suit, unfort quite a few peeps don't like Orca. Are you intending to do mostly open water tri's or drop down to sprints? I bought my wet-suit last year knowing full well that I may only do 3-4 OW swims in it . How much is your budget for a wet-suit?
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Rope someone into going with you, or meet up with someone off the forum and get their other half to hold onto them for you, that's what I normally do. But they are generally perfectly safe left out of sight in your transition box.

Orca wetsuits are really good. Their tri kit is rubbish - my shorts went see through and fell apart after 6 months of not a lot of use. However, the wetsuit has taken a pounding as I used it for both swimming and surfing and is still doing its job very well. Depending on what size you are/where you're based you are welcome to try it out to see whether or not you want to get hold of an orca suit. I've used mine for a fair few tris up to middle distance, and am planning on using it for ironman unless I come into some money and can buy a 2xu v:1

Depending on when you rack for your race i tend to have my track pump in the car and pump the tyres up before heading to registration/transition. If you're racking the day before then yeah, just take it with you.
  • SuttsSutts Posts: 10
    Wow, thank for the quick responses; especially Jellybaby for your kind offer reg the wetsuit. It seems the tri world is a great community to be a part of, everyone is happy to give their time and advice to help others; I have no worries about being the first time idiot, as you all seem very quick to remind people you have to start somewhere...Although I am considering some L plates!

As for future plans I have another OD booked in July ....but I would like to do some middle distance races next year.

Thanks again for the help. I have just one more question for now...is it normally a case of set up your transition..wait around a few hours until close to your wave time... enter the transition area for change into wetsuit..and then make my way to the swim? Or do I set up my transition and not see my box again until T1, I guess changing elsewhere (car/tent) into my wetsuit and make my way over to the swim?
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Depends on the set up of the tri.

Normally I do what Jellybaby does, pump my tyres up at the car and leave the pump in the car. If the car is close to the swim, I'll leave all my swimming stuff in the car and change there. If it's a fair walk away I take it to transition.

This has on occasion meant my goggles/ swim cap etc are in the wrong place, so best to make sure you've got it all with you. Check and double check things are in the right place as when the adrenaline is pumping just before a race, you do all sorts of stupid things! I've been doing tri's for 4 years now and in my last one, a mile into the bike, I realised I'd put my front wheel on the wrong way round!!!

Schoolboy stuff, so again, just try and chill and check everything a few times over!!!

As for car keys, I normally always travel on my own and will either squeeze my key into my saddle bag or hide it on the car somewhere. I've never had any issues.
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Welcome Sutts

I'd advise going to the event in your race wear, enter transition and sort out your kit, then put your wetsuit on and start.

Why would you want to get there hours before your start time ?

I'm selling my Orca wetsuit, I've had it for a year and it's served me very well. I agree that Orca's kit falls to pieces quickly, but that isn't true of their wetsuits.

What race are you doing ?
  • SuttsSutts Posts: 10
    Thanks.

I'm doing the 3/4 Banaman and probably the MK Tri. I don't know my work pattern for August yet so not sure what events after July.