Home Chat General Chat

ironman 70.3 aero wheels or not?

Hi people,

Im afraid its another ironman question.

I have been planning to use my shimano 7850 50mm clincher wheels for the 70.3 uk this weekend but still not 100% whether I should use them or my shimano 7850 24mm.

The wheels are pretty good up the hills but obviously I would be carrying extra weight, and I am already carrying, not very light, tri bars on my trek madone.

Sooooo my question is..... Should I go for the extra speed on the aeros (downhill) or go for the lighter 24mm to easy the weight for the up hills.

Please let me know what you think.
Stevster

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    go with what looks faster, cause if you look fast then you will be fast.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 24mm weigh 1410 grams and th e50mm 1470grams - can't see a problem with that unless the 50mm are absolute crap at climbing.

The only reason why I would ride the 24mm is if a gale is blowing but even then you could ride the 24mm front and 50mm rear - they are both clinchers aren't they?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 24mm weigh 1410 grams and th e50mm 1470grams - can't see a problem with that unless the 50mm are absolute crap at climbing.

The only reason why I would ride the 24mm is if a gale is blowing but even then you could ride the 24mm front and 50mm rear - they are both clinchers aren't they?
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    the 50mm weight difference is a little more than 147o according to my scales but as you have pointed out still insignificant in the grand scale of things, will just cut my toe nails to gain the weight ;o))))

Going with the 50mm's as they do climb pretty well.

Thanks guys just new to 70.3 distance so just making sure I can cut out as many newbie mistakes as poss ;o))