Home Chat General Chat

Socks? Blister!

okennyokenny Posts: 231
Did my first proper tri of the year over the weekend (OD), knocked 5 minutes off my time from last year, 9 minutes faster than the year before

I was pretty happy with all aspects of it, except for the fact that I cycled and ran without without socks and got some VERY VERY nasty blisters.

I had ran without socks several times before in training, thought it was fine....but I probably never ran so hard without socks, or maybe on Sunday the skin was softer from swimming and 40k on the bike...

Do you guys experience this problem? what can you do? New shoes? LOADS of vaseline in the shoes??

The worst blisters were caused by small stones and crap coming into my shoes from the run through a small forest (trails) and ESPECIALLY from the arch support in the shoe rubbing on my feet.
I have another tri next week, assuming I can run again, I do not want to experience this again!

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    What trainers have you got ? Are they designed for sockless running ?

Er... put socks on in T1.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    no, they're probably not designed for sockless running....Asics.

I have high arches and very wide feet, I cannot just wear any shoe. The triathlon shoes available don't cater for my needs.

Putting on socks in T1 takes too long in a short Tri! There must be another solution.
    for anything longer I would definitely do it. My bike shoes work great, no problems.
    Well if your trainers aren't seamless etc for sockless running I'd suggest loads of talc and socks . I've done it and it takes no more than 30 seconds.

That or keep going with blisters and you will get used to it and the skin will harden up.

Or compeeds. They are brilliant
    Well if your trainers aren't seamless etc for sockless running I'd suggest loads of talc and socks . I've done it and it takes no more than 30 seconds.

That or keep going with blisters and you will get used to it and the skin will harden up.

Or compeeds. They are brilliant
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I smear a film of Bodyglide on the heel and inside edge - works for me and I have delicate feet with slimm heels.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thanks for the tip, I will try it. The blisters look better today, gonna try a run tomorrow. Have a HIM next weekend!

Up to now I have had Bodyglide almost everywhere other than my feet!
    I shall soon be requiring a full body lube! : any volunteers?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Sorry should have clarified - Bodyglide inside heel of shoe and around edges of shoe, not on your heel itself - as Conehead points out may as well pop socks on.