Home Chat General Chat

IMUK or IM Austria?!

I know people are always asking "which IM" type questions, but I've narrowed mine down a bit...!!

I am looking to do my first IM and would like to do a branded event (accepting the cost - gulp!!) I have a pass code for early Austria IM from the 70.3. I am trying to decide whether Austria or UK would suit best?

I am taking a year out for a Masters next year and as a result will have some exams in June and dissertation in for August.

From my reading so far....Austria is slightly flatter, well supported, beautiful and is inbetween my exams and dissertation deadline.
IMUK is closer, cheaper (travel costs etc) and gives more preparation time.

Having just done Bala middle last week I've got the bug and am keen to not miss out on an IM race next year. Can I pick all your highly experienced brains out there and ask you all which race would be best to enter?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Guy

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I cannot comment on the venues but on the logistic side I would plump for IMUK

As you say, more prep time. cheaper and you are going to be stressed enough with your studies to not have to then cope with flights, volcanos, strikes, packing, transport, last minute panics etc. and the money saved can buy new kit Bonus. And you will be helping the UK economy
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I had much the same dilemma and gave it a lot of thought. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I may only ever do 1 Ironman and as such I wanted it to be special, so went for the overseas option (IMCH).

Having said that, I have found the training very addictive and may well do another depending on how IMCH goes and if that is the case, then my first Ironman will remain 'special'.

That was just my thoughts and Bolton didn't really do it for me in terms of glamour!!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    If you don't mind spending more then do Austria.No competition really.It is popular as it can create fast times due to the course and climate,so if you are trying for a WTC slot then expect more competition.

Out of the 8 M Dot races that I have done,4 in the UK,4 abroad.All the non UK have been better,so for myself it would be go abroad,the whole experience is better.

If you go for Austria,book your accomodation early,like as soon as you enter the race,it does fill up quickly.Doesn't your 70.3 voucher run out soon?
  • guy909ukguy909uk Posts: 13
    Thanks guys....very helpful.

My code does indeed run out today, so it's decision time!

I think I will be going to IM Austria although the only thing holding me back is the exams 3 weeks before the event!

I guess there is never a perfect time and if I did do IMUK it would coincide with dissertation deadline.

Thanks again for your help!
    Guy
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 11
    Like many of the others, from doing both UK and many European IM, I'd always opt for a Earopean one - the whole event is better organised, supported, etc. Its a different experience each time but you'll get a better on abroad!
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126

Can anyone tell me how much entry costs for IMUK70.3?

Ta

And how quickly it sells out.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Sells out in less than 7 days, it was about £175 this year. I think they said entry starts real soon. Get a lot of hill work in ;-) Looks like there was 300ish no shows this year.

£200

FFS............I'll maybe just wait and think about it.