Home Chat General Chat

Specific Tri Shorts or Cycling ones?

Hi All,

I've signed up for my 1st Tri in 6 weeks.

It's a pool swim, so no wetsuit complications.

Do I really need to get some tri-specific shorts or will my cycling ones do?

Not sure how they will perform when wet and what the difference is between specific tri-shorts and cycling shorts.

Thanks,

Pat...

Comments

• dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    It will be poor in the pool, and on the run it will feel like you are wearing a nappy.

You could wearing swimming trunks, then just put running shorts over them and cycle in those if it is not too long a distance.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    I always wear a set of speedo trunks under my tri shorts just in case of wardrobe malfunction...not experienced any chafing by doing it.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Don't swim in cycle shorts you'll be dragging the water equivalent of a parachute up and down the pool.

Have a look here
    http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.a ... P_ID=41232
    or
    http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.a ... ry=related

If interested use 10% discount code GEYJE136535 and also get a free pair of socks
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    got to agree with the above - if it is a short tri then you'd probably be better off with no shorts than trying to swim and run with full cycling shorts on!
    Hey Ris
    you'd probably be better off with no shorts
    wouldn't that be a DQ on the 'no nudity rule?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    Haha! Yeah, it may help to wear swimmers of some sort - dq would be bad but I think the chaffing on the bike might be worse!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    As said above - don't bother with cycling shorts for a sprint - a set of jammers or swim shorts should do just fine - I have done a couple of 70.3's in Trisuits with no issues on the bike and 100 plus mile bike rides - I now find that I have more problems with cycling shorts than Tri shorts.
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Cheers all.

Have done a Duathlon in my cycling shorts and they were perfect, but I hear you all on the soggy nappy scenario.

Funny enough, I was just looking at the more mile ones as there socks are great for running and there £10 cycling jersey has been really good as well so will give them a shot.

Pat...
  • guy909ukguy909uk Posts: 13
    Just did Bala Middle, which was incidently too my first tri and first experience with tri shorts. I really can't recommend them highly enough. Did a duathlon in cycling shorts and there is no comparison. I now wear the tri shorts even when I'm just going out for a long ride....feel like an athlete rather than an incontinent toddler!!

Go for some tri shorts.
  • Did my first tri about a month ago and wore a club trisuit on the advice of other club members. I would totally recomend this approach and if you look hard enough you can buy one at a very reasonable price (£30).
    Cycling shorts are a bad idea for reasons given by users here. A tri suit or top and tri shorts means you've no need to worry about chafing or having to try and put a top and or shorts on when you are wobbly from swimming and dripping wet.
    If you're a club member ask about club kit - everyone will cheer you on as you go round!
    Remember to use either body glide or vaseline everywhere and anywhere including trainers and bike shoes. Talc is also a great help for wet feet going into bike shoes.
    You'll really enjoy it and well done for giving it a go. Good luck.
    Chris
  • threerockthreerock Posts: 10
    My brother in law and a few tri friends have a suit from www.swimwearonline.co.uk Cheap, made in UK, and quality of a suit twice the price.
    Hi All,

Got my More Mile tri shorts.

Pad is very thin compared to my cycling shorts, but I guess that's how they're supposed to be.

They also have two small stretchy pockets on each leg and in the middle at the back which will be helpful for gels when i get into the swing of things.

Wore them for the 1st half of my 60 mile training bike ride - a bit of discomfort around 8 - 10 miles, but then they were fine for the remaining 20 miles where I had a pit stop and changed to my cycling shorts and quickly re-fuelled.

They do seem to show your giblets a lot more than cycling shorts though - how do you "get over" that if you're not to comfortable with that?

Are the more expensive ones less revealing?

Thanks,

Pat...
    Hi
    I wear Falke sports undershorts, no seams whatseover, they are very comfy and keep your bits together
    http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/falke/her ... _boxer.htm
    Highly recommend them but like chickens teeth to get hold off so only keep them for comps.

I also wear for training Sergio Tacini £3 from Sports Direct and have thought about these:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/boxer-bri ... -82391915/
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/boxer-bri ... 04099664/#
    Would rather try and find "a pair of shorts for everything without showing your bits too much".

Anyone use the 2XU ones?

There's some on Start Fitness for £30 at the mo.

Just wondering how much better they'd be than my More Mile ones.

Pat...
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    All tri shourts will have your bits on display in that way (unless yours are white, that's probably worse than black for that i'd imagine ) I wear 2xu they;ve been good for all of last season, lots of training and time on the bike. haven't tried the other brand so i can't really compare.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    When cycling at the correct TT cadence your blobbage ought to be a blur which nobody can accurately spot.

For the run, you'll have your race number hanging down as a 'modesty sporran' to cover your jiggling spud sack.

You're welcome.
    Bopomofo - a well reasoned and scientific argument
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    Forgot to bring my swim stuff to work today, so went for lunchtime swim in bike shorts instead. I didn't notice any material difference from the speedos. But I am rubbish swimmer, and bike shorts still going to feel like a nappy on the run...
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Bought a £15 Aldi special tri suit (much to my shame), for my first sprint tri, and I have to say, it was awesome
    Saved fannying around putting anymore clothes on, getting changed etc. and for the bike and run not a bit of chaffing in sight.
    Can highly reccommend it, if you don't mind looking a bit odd - but I figured I'd rather look odd and save time then look cool and come further down the field! (Not that I could have got much further down the field )
    Well done! That's why we all look odd 'cos it works. You'll be scouring for the the bling now.
  • hiverhiver Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Rookie here as well - about to order the More Mole Tri Shorts, but typically I in between sizes M and L - any suggestions? I am reasonably slim around the waist (about 32) but somewhat large thighs.

Thanks, M
    Hi All,

Turns out the MoreMile ones are more or less a copy of the 2XU ones.

The 2XU ones were marginally better, but £35 better.....NO......

Hiver - try some MoreMile £15 ones and see what they are like - I'd say try a large.

Pat...
  • Yes me too agree to use a specific Tri shorts...
    Also a Tri Suite will be also very nice...

Cycling Shorts
  • tri_umphtri_umph Posts: 1
    Specific tri shorts are so much better...

I have some Sugoi shorts and they dry really quickly, theyre comfortable and are reasonably priced...

http://www.sukasport.com/product/41/sugoi-trishorts.asp

I made the mistake of wearing cycling shorts for my first triathlon and will never ever do it again!!