Home Chat General Chat

Training with a Broken Scaphoid

Help! I did my frist sprint last year and am now hooked on tri...so much so I've entered the london Tri, going for Oly distance with my prep training start at the beginning Dec 06.. all was proceeding well .. until...... 11 days ago I came off my mountain bike and it looks like I've broken my scaphoid. So arm has just been replastered for another 4 weeks! Humpf... So advice needed please.....

1. Given I was a weak swimmer anyhow, but had been working hard.... I'm now unable to swim train for another month or so - is 1500m by 3 Aug realistic? In fact is Oly distance by 3 Aug realistic!!!

2. Does anyone have any training ideas to keep me occupied for next few weeks.... hand is still sore and cast quite tight. Have managed a 30min turbo sess this morning before it all got too uncomfortable. Haven't really contemplated running yet

3. Anyone done this before or knows recovery length after it comes out of plaster????

Thanks for any advice!

Frustrated of Berkshire! [;)] [:@]

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Scaphoids are a pain. Oddly enough I broke mine mountain biking. Ended up in plaster for about 2 months (got fed up and told them to take the cast off in the end).

Healing will depend on the type of break you have and a what risk you have of complications (typically dictated by the where the break is). It may be worthwhile talking at more length to your doctor about it.

As to training the only advice I can give in the early days to avoid pain are either don't train to hard and/or keep the arm elvated to reduce swelling. Again you'd be better off with professional advice....
  • The scaphoid bone has an unusual blood supply that enters the bone form the end furthest from the heart (nearer your thumb). This makes it particularly prone to a condition called non-union, i.e. the bone doesn't heal necessitating a further operation with bone grafting to cause healing. It generally takes 8 weeks to heal but if not healed by then it will be immobilised in plaster for a further 4 weeks before considering surgery. However, the vast majority do heal within 8 weeks but the wrist will have to be rehabilitated slowly after this due to the stiffness caused by having your wrist in plaster for so long. My advice is to take it easy and allow healing to take place by not stressing your wrist, protecting the plaster and eating well while avoiding caffeine and nicotene to improve blood supply which is vital for fracture healing. Better to get it right the first time than risk it.
  • AlgarniAlgarni Posts: 46
    I would definately say take it easy now so you don't risk even more time in the cast.

Concerning the time to train for an olympic triathlon. You can do the training for an olympic triathlon in 14 weeks with just 12 - 18 hours per week. Its not the most ideal training time but it can definately be done, so you will have plenty of time to train as long as you look after yourself now and don't cause any more damage.

Good Luck and take care

• Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like it's a bit of a wait and see, patience is a virtue as they say so I'd better start to learn a bit of that [;)].

I'll get to know how good (or bad) the break is on 19th feb so fingers crossed. At least it's not so sore now and i've managed a couple of v easy 30min turbo sessions... not quite the 8 hours a week but better then nothing... have figured I can probably fit a few of those in plus some core work without too much bother to the arm/ hand.

Happy training to all you guys out there, I'll just have to take it easy for a bit![8D]
  • You can get these niffy devices which go over plaster casts to enable you shower/ swim, this would allow to at least do kick work in the pool without getting your cast wet, this should help maintain some of your swim fitness, even better if your pool will allow you to use fins. Try www.swimshop.co.uk or www.mailsports.co.uk