Home Chat General Chat

Heart Rate

Hi all

Have a query re heart rates. Have a Suunto T3C. Activity level currently 6. Resting HR 41, age 41, weight 14st.

Monday night I ran for 28 minutes, quickish (for me) pace. Heart rate was
above 60% 2 min, above 70% 8 mins and above 80% 20 mins, average 149 max 169. TE was 3.6. This is a typical reading

Tonight I ran for 41 mins, slightly slower, conditions similar
above 70% 3 mins, above 80% 6 mins and above 90% for 32 mins, average 169 max 187. TE only 3.0!!! These are the highest readings in over a year of using the Suunto by 10 bpm and 7 bpm respectively

Questions are
1) Am I about to come down with something nasty?
2) Have I spent the last 18 months working at too low a level?
3) Why has the device only logged a low training effort?

Comments

• Heart rates are funny things...my resting HR is about 69-72 I consider myself fairly fit too...
    Yours seems low to mine and Im only a year older!
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Are you stressed?

Are you hydrated enough ?

Is it warm out?

I ran 26k last night averaging around 163. Did the same run last week averaging at 153. was alot warmer last night

IK
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I ran a hardish paced run yesterday when it was quite cold and noticed how much easier I find it than when it's hotter. It was much hotter today and I felt very laboured just going a bit harder than a simple recovery run.

Kav, you doing any Irish races? Did you do the Dublin marathon as I think you were planning last year?
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 11
    The Suunto HRMs determine the training effect based on a combination of the duration and intensity of the training just completed. It is calculated from the what is called EPOC - Excess Post -exercise Oxygen Consumption and is the amount of additional oxygen needed to recover from the exercise. The harder the training, the more oxygen is needed, so the higher the EPOC.

In relation to the training effect (TE) you noted, the differences may be due to various factors as already mentioned; temperature, hydration, stress, sleep deprivation and, more importantly, whether you have recovered properly from the previous sessions - or, as you say, the potential onset of an illness.

Keep an 'eye' on how you feel and take it easy for a day or so - train at TE 1 or 2.

In terms of the TE, make sure you stick to the following guidelines relating to TE and the time to recover from the session:
    Training Effect: Recovery required
    1-2 = Minor: 3hrs
    2-3 = Maintain/improve: 1 to 2 days
    3-4 = Improve/highly improve: 1 to 4 days
    4-5 = Highly improve/over-reach: 2 to 7 days
    5 = Over-reaching: 7+ days

The recovery time doesn't mean no training, just that you need to do easy sessions in the 1-2 TE zone.

Hope this helps
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Thanks Martin

Can I ask where that data came from as much more detailed than the handbook?

Would love to relate tale of having gone out this week and all back to normal. Alas attempted recovery run hindered by one (fat) man and his dog taking my legs away, leaving me sprawled in the road, which was fortunately quiet. I had no idea road rash took so long to stop bleeding...
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 11
    Hi,
    Its a mixture of using Suunto as a coach (and also for myself) as well as the Suunto website but mainly from talking to the Suunto technical people on their products. The Suunto range also work on the heart rate variability that essentially measures how rested you are from which the data is derived

Hope that helps
    Martin