Home Chat General Chat

Awesome run workout!

Tried my first track work out last Friday!

At the local high School 400m track.

set 2 min intervals running at 1.30 lap pace so got 30 secs rest in between sets.

Done 5 then a 3 min lap to recover then another 5.

Follow by 3 x 35 second hill reps (very steep gradient!)

Legs were like jelly on the cool down!

Trying anything to break the 20 min 5k barrier! which isn't showing any sign of moving!!

Comments

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Sounds like you're approaching it in a structured way, which is good, but to run a 20 minute 5k you need to be averaging 96 seconds per lap. Training at 90 seconds per lap and having so much rest might not give you the improvement you're looking for.

It might not be a welcome comment but I think you might need to be running faster and longer - a 5k is 12 and a half laps and you're only giving yourself 6 seconds (or 26.7 metres) grace each lap at the moment when you're fresh. As you tire through a 5k this might see you set off on track to break 20 minutes, but fade in the latter stages, particularly after swimming and biking.

On the other hand, you might be great at maintaining a good pace and I could be entirely wrong.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've been doing something similar and I generally enjoy that running session. Flat out all attack on the track and the RI is set to 30s as well.

My comment would be in relation to the num of laps. Will you be getting much benefit from 5 only?
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Trisurfer

You need to mix things up a bit. In addition to your normal endurance running for a 5k PB consider the following:

Even weeks - VO2 max workouts. These intervals should be 600m to 1600m (intervals should add up to 3 to 4.5km)run initially at current 5k race pace and over the weeks progressively up the pace to target race pace. Recovery should be 50 to 100% of the time it takes to do the interval. Example 5x600m, 4x800m, 3x1000m, 6x600m, 4x1000m and 2x1600m. Remember to build up progressively both in pace & total interval distance.

Odd weeks - Tempo runs at 10mile race pace, build up to 20 to 30 minutes at this pace. Could do 1x20min, 3x8min or 2x15min. Recovery to be 25 to 50% of interval time. Running at the right pace is important. Too fast (trains wrong energy system & would be too tired for fast runs) or too slow (little training benefit) is wrong. Again build up progressively.

In the same week as the tempo runs do fast runs. They are 100m & 200m intervals flat out but maintaining running technique, e.g. build to 10x100m or 8x200m (can build these intervals into an endurance run). Recovery to be 2min very gentle jog. These are to develop leg speed & technique.

Hope they help
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Thankyou for those comments, I'll take them all on board.

Can't beat a good old thrashing!!

I'm planning on making it a regular weekly work out, with a view to try and reduce the the rest interval over time and perhaps increase number of reps. However I'm gonna mix up the distances and see what happens!

over the week 3 run work outs
    1x distance (7 - 10 miles)
    1x fartlek (4 - 6 miles)
    1x track/hill reps (45mins - 1hr)

got a sprint in September I use as my end of season progress race, knocked 6 mins of previous time last year so its gonna be harder to find the minutes this year!

Been roped into doing a 14 mile run with a mate in 3 weeks so need to up the endurance work as-well!