Home Chat General Chat

Race numbers - advice please

I'm doing my first tri in Lincoln at the weekend and whilst looking at the entry details I noticed something about race numbers - They have to be pinned to the front and back of your top, so I can't use a race belt like I was going to - What should I do:
1. Wear Tri suit and pin the numbers to it for the whole race and hope the numbers last.
2. Wear Tri suit and put T-shirt over top in T1 with numbers pre-pinned.
3. Buy new tri shorts for swim and put on tri top / T-shirt in T1 with numbers pre-pinned.
All advice most welcome !

Comments

• sarnie1sarnie1 Posts: 5
    Don't worry - you can use your race belt as planned. In all races they ask for the numbers to be shown on the front and back throughout the race. This is so that race marshals can see your numbers and check your times/distances completed etc...As long as your number is on your back during the bike leg and visible to your front on the run leg, then you should be okay. Simply spinning your race belt from back to front during T2 will do the job.

Enjoy it!
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    I've just double checked the rules and it says:
    Race Numbers
    Race Numbers must be worn on both the front & back during the bike
    & run at all times. Numbers must be pinned at all four corners.
    Number bands are allowed but it is recommended that two be worn.
    One number band for the top of the number & one number band for
    the bottom to stop your number creasing up and becoming
    unreadable.

I'd definitely prefer a race belt, but the way it reads I don't think its an option - what do you think?
    Being reckless I would turn up with my race belt and get on with it! However, it might be worth checking with the event organisers although I doubt they would want to put on an amateurish event, which in my (humble) opinion it would be with everyone wearing t-shirts!!!!
    Got to speak to them and you're right!
    Race belt it is, hurray!
    No stupid T-shirt and racing pins required.
    A bit sad I don't get to go shopping though.....
    Thanks for the advice
    Let us know how you get on - good luck!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Sonofsammo

See you at the Lincoln Sprint. This will be my 5th time there, we have this every year; a race belt is fine - in fact I think the old grey matter is sufficiently intact and seem to remember that there is only one number given.

Drop OSB an email if in doubt.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Loads of organisers give their race number rules like this to allow for the mind-numbing stupidity of the odd few who will turn up and simply not understand what the numbers are for.

Lowest common denominator stuff, really.

All they care is that they can see the number. Marshals will helpfully remind you to spin your belt around when you inevitably forget in the dizziness of competition. If there are no timing chips then also shout your number out as you go through each control point. It is maddening when you don't get split times for a race.

The bit they don't usually stress, which IMHO is more important, is filling in the safety details on the back of your number: ICE details; allergies, asthma & other medical issues; blood group etc etc
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    That's actaully a good point Bopo, I don't even know my blood type, and never tend to fill in ICE details - except in foriegn races as i don't speak any other languages and probably wouldn't be able to explain anything if i was taken ill - although why that would be different here I don't know
    Always useful to have your ICE details etc. More importantly allergies, medical conditions.

Blood type useful but they should type anyway in an A&E coz as Bopomofo says one must cater for the lowest denominator - someone will invariably put down the wrong blood type - if in doubt and no typing they will whack in O+ suits most people. O+'s are universal donor. third of poulation, A+'s also a third. I'm Aneg 7% of UK poulation but apparantly I'm more resistant to Bubonic plague and Malaria.

Anyway - back on topic - if you get two numbers pin them back to back as it reduces flapping and thereby reduces turbulence on the bike.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    One number on a race belt will be fine - always is at the OSB events. You just need to spin it round for the run. If you feel more confident pinning your numbers onto a top and putting it on in transition, then do that instead. Whatever you're confident with.
    Race belt was allowed.
    Race belt buckle fell off.
    Race belt retrieved amidst much swearing and tied securely around waist with knot!
    First tri finally completed in 1:35:48
    Must sleep now
    Awesome event - onestepbeyond organised a superb event and I had a great time - can't wait or the next one!
    OSB are really switched on - at the Lincoln tri 2 yrs ago the night before the pool was closed due to a contamination scare - no probs they turned around a Duathlon as if it had been planned for months.

Another good one you might be able to get in on is the Nottingham at Holme Pierrpont - a Triathlon in a stadium - great fun and also the Last Minute at Southwell

Glad you enjoyed it and well done.
    Hurrah, well done! The bike course was a bit exciting with the wind! Hope you enjoyed yourselves. See you at the relays!
    It was unbelievably windy!
    And they found a hill for us on the bike course!
    Will be doinf the team relays in Nottingham on 21st and I can't wait. Might do David Lloyd Hull August 1st.
    I feel like an addict
    Need another fix!
  • blaze1235blaze1235 Posts: 64
    southampton on the 22nd August i'm doing that one
    At least Burton hill is in the first ten minutes of the bike ride when you're still fresh!
    The wind was really getting up by the time I was off at quarter past ten - my front wheel was blowing all over the road.