Home Chat General Chat

THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO TRAINING

Hi all,

I will be doing my first triathlon this weekend, and now that I've caught the training bug, once it's over I am looking to take a much more serious approach to my training, rather than the hit and miss approach I used this time around!

Can anyone recommend the best book on triathlon training, please? Is there a particular all-encompassing book that stands out as being "the" definitive one to read above all others?

I'm looking for a highly detailed book (preferably written by someone already well-respected within the sport) that covers training for all race distances, preferably with a focus on creating detailed annual and weekly training plans (covering things like RPE/HR zones etc.) as well as triathlon-specific advice on nutrition/technique/mental preparation etc.

I just want to make sure I get the daddy of all books!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    The Triathlon Training Bible
    By Joe Friel

It's exactly what you describe.
  • tommckaytommckay Posts: 2
    Is that book really the best one to go for then? I heard it was good but wasn't sure if it was just well-marketed online hype...
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    it's considered to be very good and it's exactly what you describe....

Get a copy and read it, it's not that expensive. There are so many books....
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    Echo that. Friel's book has everything, and also explains it.
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    Friels book is very comprehensive.

BUT,

as a newbie myself. I'm finding a lot of the first third or so hard going.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    "How triathlon ruined my life" by some bald northern chancer.

That's all you need.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Dave Scott's Triathlon Training.

If you can get a copy.

There are so many books on the Market,join a club,ask what books they have,chances are they have most of them and just borrow rather than buy.Decide which is best for you before buying.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    I wouldn;t buy any books (except that one by some bloke called Darren Roberts).

I'd read what i can from the library, I'd devour what's written in internet forums and I'd buy introductory subscriptions to the tri mags (eg 3 copies for £1), cancel the sub in time and then repeat it until i realise i am reading the same stuff as they printed last year.

I'd also find cheap races to enter to gain experience... 10K road races, local aquathlons, whatever.

Then once I had worked out what was working for me I'd THEN review what my limiters are (your library copy of TTTB will explain that term), what my goals are, and how I can spend money THEN to address them. A shelf full of expensive books you have read once will be no help whatsoever (unless you use them to prop up your bike's front wheel on the turbo).

Purely IMHO. Other's MMV.

didds
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Definitely buy the Friel book.
    I did before my first and it was invaluable.
    For me it helped me understand why I was doing what I was doing and how to plan for my goal.
    It can be a bit heavy in parts but all-in-all it's a great guide to training.
    If you want to improve, can't afford a coach and want to self-coach, train yourself get it.
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Did buy the Friel book but found it too intimidating at first. Now after a few tris I can pick it up and get a whole lot more from it. Probably the sign of good book-ie one that you keep going back to.

Don't ignore the training DVDs either-they don't have Spielberg production values but great to see things in motion. Triathlon Techniques in Action by Steve Trew i found good.

I've got an e reader and was wondering if anyone's downloaded any ebook versions of tri texts. There was a flyer in 220 a while back for humankinetics.com-anyone tried them?