Home Chat General Chat

IM Swim Prep interupted - Advice please

Hey

As some of you know I'm entering IM Switzerland in July. Unfortunately I made a huge mistake on Saturday. I applied what I thought was complete sunblock on my shoulders but in fact was a very low factor. Id attach a pic of the result only some off you might faint.

I went to the docs on Monday and got the treatment process on the way as I had started to blister badly.

SO the big no no here is swimming. Doctors orders. Best case scenario is end of next week before I can go to the pool due to risk of infection.

Running and Cycling are on target but my question is how should I structure my schedule once I can swim.
Should I try to get the remainder of my program done(Swim Smooth IM program) in a shorter period of time. Should I keep doing technique work or focus on more endurance sessions. (Usual week is technique session, long swim, nice and easy swim). Should I ease on the bike/run and fully concentrate on swimming for a week maybe?

Ive worked hard all year now so dont want to screw this up now.

IK

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    it must depend on how strong a swimmer you are...
    I am a strong swimmer and can manage good times and relatively little training.....I need to run and cycle a lot though!
    Do you think you really need to work on your swimming? Or, are the bike/run legs anyway your limiters?

Do you want to swim sub 1hr for a sub 10hr IM or just finish? The swim is by far the easiest part....I wouldn't be too worried about missing a few swims, the rest could do your shoulders and arms good anyway.
    Maybe do some push-ups instead!
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Hey

Swimming is my weakest discipline as its the newest to me. I find it a lot easier these days as my technique has improved a lot. My latest Tri (Olympic) the swim was very relaxed and smooth throughout.

AS regards times its my first IM and im there to complete the race, not worried about the time.

IK
  • matt333matt333 Posts: 32
    If you just want to finish I wouldn't worry about sticking to the plan too much...I finished my 1st IM with no training plan what so ever and missed out weeks of training here and there due to injury and other commitments. As long as you know you can do the distance in each disapline you will be fine. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Matt
    concentrate on getting well! And return to your normal program.
    just back from the physio. Possibly have a stress fracture in my foot.

I ran 27km on Sunday and felt fine. On Tues thought i felt a niggle in my ankle. On wed I went out for a 10k run and lasted about 200m. It came from nowhere. Not sure how this affects me.The ligaments seem fine around my ankle, Physio said 2-3 weeks rest from running, but that I could cycle and swim.

WTF is happening. I had a full year with no injuries, I didnt overtrain, didnt increase my training by more than 10% in any week. etc etc.

Id punch something only with my luck id break my hand.

IK
    physios can over react and be wrong....give it atleast two days before u get depressed...
  • Dont get down about it ironkav - I have post concussion syndrome following a bike accident at florida 70.3 in mid May and still can't train at the level I was before - I have no idea whether I will even be able to do any of the race at IMCH (I had been wondering in the last week or so whether I could do the swim and just one lap of the bike whilst harbouring a little hope that I might drag myself round it all if I go really really slowly) but I still get tired easily and the water is cold in Zurich right now meaning it will really take it out of me! Thank goodness its a lap swim, so I can stop after one if I can't make it.

Just rest the foot, and let it get better. The bodies capacity for recovery is amazing (and I should know - I couldn't even swim a length without needing to stop 4 weeks ago, and now I did 2.3k yesterday - I know, its still not 3.8k but I am getting there!)

Take it easy and all the best.
    Hey again.

So i went for an MRI on my foot. No broken bones, No tendons or ligament damage.

It sounds like good news, but the pain remains. Cant run. Cant cycle for long periods. Back swimming but its not the hardest part is it

Any decent physios here

IK
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Ironkav
    You are not going to get any faster in a couple of weeks so as best you can chill. Keep up the swimming as that was originally your main concern and you stated the bike and run were stronger.

So just rest your foot, if you train on it now you are going to do more harm than good IMHO

Good luck
    and don't put on any weight! That's always an issue for me if I stop training, it happens sooo easily....u keep eating the same amount and forget that you're nor burning 9999 cals a day!
    Hi again,

Sorry to drag this post back up the top. So the latest news is good. My physio has put my foot pain down to extremely tight calve muscles. I have to stretch twice a day for 30 mins and do some calf exercises and ankle mobility exercises.

So I will head for one last long cycle this weekend and also a 4k lake swim and perhaps a short jog. Ive made my mind up that I am entering the race. Just need a good 2 weeks of stretching, yoga and good food.

Just wanted to let you guys know the issue of the pain in case you get it yourselves.
    Ive googled the terms that my physio said could be the problem and here is a description of the pain and the cause.

Pain of sudden onset on the top of the foot just behind the toes, without a history of trauma, may be a stress fracture of a metatarsal bone. There is usually swelling in the area and it is painful to the touch.

Another type of pain occurs near the middle of the top of the foot and. In this region of the foot the tendons that lead to the toes can become inflamed. This is called extensor tendonitis.

A major cause of this condition is excessive tightness of the calf muscles. When the calf muscles are tight they place excessive stress on the tendons on the top of the foot that pull the foot upward and counteract the calf muscles. Wearing a shoe with a one-inch heel will help relieve the stress on the tendons.

Aggressive stretching of the calf muscle is also very helpful. Anti-inflammatory medications can help. If these measures do not work, a functional orthotic should be tried. The orthotic corrects the alignment of the foot taking the stress off of the tendons.

IK