Home Chat General Chat

Help i broke my bike

I was riding with a pal in Dartmoor at the weekend, great hills, great views and a very big cross wind. whilst desending a rather steep hill and being rather light on the breaks (the speedo clocked 74kph) a cross wind pushed me off the road. I was lucky to get some cut's and bruises but the bike was not so lucky. It has 3 cracks running from front to back on the top tube, about half the lenght of the tube. It's a carbon frame and i fear it's not repairable, has anyone had simular experinces or know if it's fixable.

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    hard luck man.....I think you're screwed.

I have a Sppecialized carbon frame myself, I asked about it - Specialized for example offer replacement frames heavily discounted.....probably less than half price - that's still a lot of cash though.

Just be happy u survived it! 74kph is fast for a car accident, on a bike it's crazy!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Yup, 3 x half length cracks in carbon is almost certainly a write off, sorry.
    Your LBS will tell you for sure, but sounds dead to me.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    these kind of things are why I don't care when my buddies call me a wimp for braking on the down hills!

sorry again though man....
  • Thanks guys lesson learned, i am off to bike shop tomorrow but i fear the worst. Next stop the sales section on the forum.
    Still a chance to concentrate on Swimming and Running.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Check out the carbon doctor..... carbon frames can be repaired.

Also try this http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/

There was an article in 220 about this last year. Basically most things can be repaired, there is also someone who can cover up the carbon weave so it doesn't look as bad.

If its not economical to repair the insurance mate....