Home Chat Race Chat

Ironman Switzerland 2010

Comments

• just wondering, anyone given any thought to which HIM to do prior to this? wondering about the swashbuckler from race new forest - is 9 weeks before the race about right? the bike is a bit short on this race (80k) but run 14m so should sort of ish even out?

started looking at the 100m sportives too, seems like such a long way.......!
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    I'm thinking about Swashbuckler too, did the NF Middle this year and it was brilliant. Richard and Jo are very good at organising good races.

I guess it's either that or Marshman if you don't want to do the IM70.3 (which is probably sold out now).

Which sportives are you looking at?

JB
  • Marshman might be an idea too, thanks for that. On the sportives, maybe the Hell of the Ashdown (but only if the weather is better than last year - that's Jan), Highclere Castle (is it the MagnifiCat or something?) - and that's as far as I got! (provisional list of 2010 events here http://www.cyclosport.org/events2010.aspx). You?
  • Did anyone get informed of the change of date for IMCH? When i booked it the date was 1st August, and now, after finding out through this forum it has changed to July 25th.. I know its good to keep checking websites etc, but i was about to book my digs!?!?

Does this happen alot, is there chance it will happen again?
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Hi All, I'm entered and have only just come across this thread, which gives lots of excellent info.

I'm travelling with wife and baby, so all booked in advance. Flight with Aer Lingus, bike booked on too (they only take 6 bikes per flight, so you might want to get on the case).

Hotel also booked (through the IMCH partner - Kuoni) and I'll be staying at The Crowne Plaza, mainly because it has a pool for the Mrs and baby to use but (from my point of view) because it has a spa, sauna etc which will be very nice the day after!!!!!

I'm currently coming to the end of a month lay off (shaking off a nasty cough that has been hanging around for 2 months now) and will be starting my training very shortly (loosely based on Ironfit).

Planning to do a sportive each month from Jan onwards but Hell of the Ashdown is now full so have missed out on that one. I'm Essex (Epping) based, so if anyone fancies a ride over in this direction, give me a shout.

Ambition is simply to finish within the timescale, anything more than that is a bonus!!!!!
  • hi wyno, we are in east london and ride out sometimes on the less fast bike ride with east london tri from the castle in woodford. 8.30 sun - weather dependant we might well be there! quite social and nice at this time of year to be out with a group. pm me if you want more info.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I saw you mentioned the Marshman - have any of you thought of doing the Marshman + ( it is 2600m swim , 130k bike and a 30k run ) having done a Oly distance run by the same people the course is so flat that I thought the extra distance on the bike and run would help in prep for IM. Of course being so flat (and quite windy) there was no chance to freewheel at all on the bike but it meant that the speed was kept high and was a great workout! I am split between which to do - but if there is a number of us doing it it could be cool to met up at the Marshman (or +)
    p.s the Marshman + is only an extra £10 (but is still £90- is that a lot for a HIM distance?)
    Just completed the first week of my training plan and all is going well.

How's everyone else getting on,
    Have you started yet?
    What plan are you using??

I'm loosely basing mine on the ironfit program's. I'm kinda half way between the just finish and the intermediate plan, i.e. I havent really got enough time to commit to the 'intermediate' but can do more than the 'just finish'.

I've started it early to allow a bit of time off for injuries/ illness as being asthmatic I'm very prone to colds/ chest infections, also having a 16 month son, he brings home more bugs than I've ever had before, so I thought an early start was a good idea. I've basically allowed a week 'off' in between the different phases.

Interested to hear what other people are doing????
  • CAN ANY OF YOU GUYS SUGGEST ANY GOOD HOTELS IN ZURICH FOR THE IM NEXT YEAR

REGARDS B
  • we are staying at the four points sheraton (corporate deal through work) which I think is somewhere close to the start? I think you can take bikes on the trains so I don't think you particularly need to be near the start (but someone else may be better able to advise on this)

BTW md6 - what did you go for in the end - Marshman or Swashbuckler? (I stil can't decide)
  • Hey

It seems Zurich is the place to be this summer, Did the 70.3 out there last year and it was a fantastic event so foolishly decided on the full this time....

You can take bike on the trains with no problem at all, just look for the doors with a bike symbol - there are plenty on each train and doesn't cost extra. I stayed in Zurich last year and trained it down to Raperswil each day, not exactly the cheapest but always on time.....something the Swiss should be good at by now.
    not much further - i entered the Marshman + which is 3/4 distance, i thought that given how flat the area is I did a Oly distance there earlier this year and it was flat, very flat, the extra bit of distance would be a good thing. Although i might be wrong... I'll find out i guess.

Its good to know you can take bikes on the trains. Does anyone know how to get into the centre of Zurich from the airport - is there a train or will i need a cab?
  • sldargsldarg Posts: 7
    Ha! Am I glad I found this thread!.. I'm doing this event as well - although have plumped for the Swashbuckler as opposed to the Marshman in the run up.. There's a fair bit of info online via the links on this page: http://ironman.ch/en/04_hotel-tourismus ... mittel.htm. Trains run between Zurich main station and the airport every 10 minutes during peak periods (travel time: 10 minutes)
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    I've gone for the lazy option of having someone else sort everything out for me with Nirvana Europe who organise flights, hotels, transfers etc

Slight premium but you pay for no hassle
    I'm doing The Marshman too.

Also booked in for New Forest Olympic a couple of weeks before.
  • BUTRASBUTRAS Posts: 2
    I AM TRYING TO FOLLOW THE 'BE IRON FIT' BOOK..INTERMEDIATE PROGRAM.. WHAT WOULD BE THE AVERAGE FINISH TIME FOR THIS SECTION...
    EVEN A ROUGH BREAK DOWN OF ALL THREE SECTIONS WOULD HELP ME
    IM HOPING FOR 13 HOURS FOR CH...AM I IN THE CORRECT PROGRAM???

REGARDS
    BS
    I was hoping for about 12 hours but I am doing the Competitive programme - TBH i haven't a clue on how long the programs would be target time wise - i think that is much more down to the individual - after all. it is all training in HR zones so how far I could run/ride in Z2 could be very different to how far you could in Z2 in the same time (+ or -). If you want an idea on how long you are going to take etc it may be worth speaking to a coach with IM experience so they can look at yor training and tailor a plan to you.

HTH
  • I currently am living in Switzerland, near Zürich, so if anyone has questions about anything out here, i would be happy to help.

Im not doing the Ironman event, but the Zürich sprint tri as it will be my first triathlon, however i will most likely be around to watch the ironman, so ill look out for you guys.

Best of luck

JB
  • handangeohandangeo Posts: 32
    Just back from IM 70.3 Switzerland - my last race before the big one IM Switz - where have you all gone??
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    We're all busy training, 6 weeks to go!!
    Recovering from hitting a pothole and launching myself off my bike at 24mph (according to my garmin). On the tri bars at the time, so was very much a 'superman' impression.

Having said that, pretty much recovered now and training going well apart from a small calf strain. No races before the big day, so it's head down and training hard through whats left of June and early July, with a 2 week taper.

How did the 70.3 go and was it all on the full IM courses??? If so, a report would be good.
    well we're moving into the last 3 weeks now...only 24 days or something like that. I hope everyone is in good shape and feeling ready. That no one is completely bricking it (unlike me) and all those niggles are healing up (unlike me). Last few big weeks of training now then it is ready for the taper...then the big day will be here before you know it
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    was telling md6 already but Im possibly out of the race.

Stress fracture in my foot after a 3hr run. Awaiting MRI results. Still going to cheer you guys on though.

IK
    All going okay apart from a niggling calf strain which I can't shift. Going to start my taper a bit early (i.e. now), lots of stretching etc in that hope that sorts it.

Are other people traveling with family or on their own, where you staying etc.

Might be good to hook up at some stage.
  • DM1981DM1981 Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Has anybody heard the rumours about not being able to wear wetsuits in Zurich....i'm a bit worried as don't fancy the aqua ruck without one. If anyone has heard anything and can put my mind at rest i'd be grateful.
  • SicknoteSicknote Posts: 4
    The water temp is getting close to the limit, currently at 23 deg, over 24.5 and its a wetsuit free zone, not looking forward to the prospect of swimming without one.
    Eh, no wetsuit...oh please god no...please let the water temp drop a little. I can't imagine not having the wettie to help me round the lake, it'd be terrible. I'd sink. I'd drown. Or worse, miss the cut off
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Screw my last post. Im back. NO stress fracture....

No wetsuit?? I was talking to the guy who runs my local triathlon store. He has done a lot of IM is Europe and IMCH twice. He said that they take the reading first thing in the morning so that its the coldest. They always try to have it a wetsuit race.

The water surely wont be over that at 6am

IK
    I emailed IMCH yesterday and got the below response:

"Unfortunately at the moment we don’t know if wetsuit are allowed or not.

Neoprene wetsuits are only permitted if the water temperature is below 24.5° Centigrade (76.1° Fahrenheit). If the water temperature is below 16° Centigrade (60.8° Fahrenheit), the wearing of a neoprene wetsuit is mandatory. The water temperature will be measured at a depth of 50 cm below the surface of the water on race day at 6 a.m. and the temperature publicized immediately. Compression stockings which cover feet are not permitted during swimming.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon at the Ironman Zurich Switzerland 2010".

So I guess that means we find out on the morning. Temps for the next few days are forecast to be over 30 in Zurich so I wouldn't bet against it being non wetsuit. Having said that, if it carries on being over 30, then I'm guessing the 'non wetsuit' swim will be the least of our problems!!!!