Home Chat General Chat

Aerobars - ideas please

Hi all,
I've found these, which seem to be reasonable:
http://tinyurl.com/27jyj48
What do you think?
Wanna go faster and think that aerobars may help.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome

Comments

• blaze1235blaze1235 Posts: 64
    Aero bars on my commute 15 miles into london in the morning help a little i will pull 1-2 mph faster on aero but it is minimal because using them on busy roads is not the most sensible thing in the world. (no Breaks + mad lunatics in SE London = pain)

at 6am in certain stretches it is ok but I wouldn't dream of using them on the way home.

i also apportion some of that increase to fitness

you also need to build up to aero bars as you can suffer with back problems on extended lenghts on the bars to start with
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Part pf me says could be a concern both arms depending on a single extension, but then another part of me says but you shouldn't be putting any weight on the grips or pulling.

If its a comuute you may want to look at 'draft legal' bars which are shorter and safer in a busy situation hence them being draft legal.

As for being faster, some thoughts on a posting here:
    slow-cycle-t48937.html#p66059
    Aero savings
    How much time could you save on a 40km bike leg by gradually upgrading your bike with aerodynamic kit? If your average triathlete takes 75-80mins using a normal aluminium frame with standard 32-spoke rims, integrated brake/gear levers, downtube mounted bottle, vented helmet and wearing a T-shirt and shorts, here’s how much…

Aerobars These will bring you forward and drop you into an aero tuck with a flatter back and narrow elbows. Time saved 3-5mins ...
    Quite often people slap the bars on, stretch out and land up with all sorts of problems, you need to think about setting up your bike to accomodate the bars.
    Some remove the saddle, rotate the post 180deg so the clamp faces forward (and refit the saddle) as this will give a steeper angle from about 74deg to about 76deg which helps with the aero tuck and also helps reduce jelly legs at the start of the run. Best to get advice from a tri club about that but here is a good article, it is quite technical so best to take your time reading it:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hmm not sure I really agree Blaze about building up to aerobars. I had aero's on my Argon and found the transition from the drop to the aero's really easy. The bike was fitted and the set-up was sorted. However, I've found out that no matter what you do to the roadie it will not match the postion that you get from the TT...

I used my roadie as a means of getting ready for the TT and now I can't get comfy in the aero postion, although I haven't been fitted for the TT yet.

I prev had Zipps Vuka Clips ons and they were bloody good, but there are cheaper and just as good alternatives out there. I only got the Vukas cause I managed to pick them for £100 all in.

They do make a difference, I ran the Argon at Abu Dhabi and used the Aerobars as much as possible and when I was down low you can feel the difference in the speed and power than when you get up on the hoods for instance.

Zac posts very valid comments, its not just a case of slapping on the bars and away you go. The purpose of the bars is to mimic the position of the TT as best as possible and this is down by turning the seat post around and then moving the saddle forward so that it is in front of the bottom bracket (as it should be with a TT), then you have to consider the handlebar height as well, saddle height etc.

If you get it right then they will work just fine. they are good to have but I can say from experience the geometery of the road bike is all wrong and won't be the same as having a TT.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    One thing to consider too is that if you get those, then you cant use an aero drinks bottle on it.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Bman wrote:
    One thing to consider too is that if you get those, then you cant use an aero drinks bottle on it.
    Good point - hadn't thought of that.
    Any more ideas on aero bars? I've got alloy bars, so clamping shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the article ref's Zacnici, they're really useful and convincong for getting the bars (and taking off a water bottle!).