Home Chat General Chat

Wheel set up??

Hi All,

Already planning for next seasons up-grade on the bike. Saving now and though the winter and hoping to pick up deal during the winter months when no-one else is thinking about buying deep section wheels!

Thinking a combo of a Zipp 808 on the rear and a 404 on the front. (tubs)

This will be my only set of wheels so I need them to cover most bases. Any comments on this combo? Would a straight set of 404's or 808's be better?

There all lighter than the wheels I'm on at the moment (bontreger race lights) so its an improvement both in weight and aero either way.

My bike is a road bike with aero bars NOT a TT. I've noticed you don't see many road bikes with deep section rims bigger than a 404 size. Is there a reason for this?

Would I be better to put the money towards buying a P2 frame and start building a TT bike?

So many questions in my head!!

cheers

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Much depends on you and what you want. A deep section rear will give some speed but you need to get it up to speed to get the benefit from it, however a rear deep looks cool.

A 50mm front and rear is an all rounder then 50+80ish at the back is next. The shallower front section will allow bike handling not to be comprimised. Once you jump to 80ish front and rear then just be careful its not windy!!

My ideal set-up would be 50mm front with either disc or deep section at the back.

I would say put them on the roadie, then get a TT without the wheels and just swap them about as and when you need to as its a 2min job to swap them
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    At the Lincoln Tri was talking to a chap who had a PX road bike with PX 82/101 combo so yes there are road bikes as you suggested.

IMHO, a road bike, no matter how you set it up is still a compromise over an out an out Tri/TT bike unless all your events are like Lanzarote.

All I can do is use my own (limted) experience; when switching from a road to a tri bike the difference was significant. The difference between my alu Focus Izalco tri bike and my new P2 is measurable and definitely of a diffrent order but not as significant as the change from road to tri bike.

Again I am biased but I would go for the P2 frame, it is light about 4.5lbs with the forks and with a bit of shopping around can pick one up for a grand or even just a tad under.

As for the wheels - The New PX 50 sections £550 are 1296gr, about the same as Zipp 404 £1400, the PX82/101 @£399 1840gr, Zipp 808 1435gr £1500, Fuerte Bici 88s £475 1680gr.
    The Zipp dimples are supposed to significantly reduce cross wind handling degradation but if you went for P2 frame you could have the PX50s for the same price or therabouts as the Zipp wheels.

I really do think you would benefit more from the P2 frame and geomtry than the Zipps but hey that is just my opinion and would ask more experienced chaps and chapesses for their opinions as well
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    also check out www.colbertcycles.co.uk

I bought the 85mm front and rear... email Stephen for the prices. Top bloke
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Cheers for that input fellas.

I've never seen a road bike with deep section rims (beyond 40) wasn't sure is there was a reason for it!

So the 80/40 combo is a good option, covering most bases, while not giving up too much in weight for climbing or section size for windy days.

I like the zipp wheels cause they look the business!! everyone at my TT club rave about them. Also some pretty big style/bling points in transition!

As much as I'd love the tt set up as well as the road bike, i just up-graded to a new madone 4.9 this year, another bike purchase would flip the WAT officer! Don't know if i can justify buying to bikes in one year!!

although that said see what I come across during the winter if the right deal comes along on P2/3 or wheels!

cheers for the colbert link I've spoke with them before about wheels and he was very helpful.
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    I bought a new carbon TT bike this year and a set of Hed Jet 60 fr/90 rr wheels.

Biggest improvent has come from the bike which was £2200 - Cannondale Slice Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. They're the training wheels now. Obviously different prices but given the choice of one or the othe I'd go TT bike- think the 105 was shifting for about £1500, about same as the wheels you're talking about.

I went for a similar combination wheel selection as you for the same reason, allrounders. You basically want the deepest section rims you want without getting blown off (!!!). The 50/60 on the front is about the highest you can go as there is less weight on this part of the bike and it is pivotted. You can go slightly deeper on the back as your weight is over it and if you do get a blast the whole bike moves which is easier to control.