Home Chat General Chat

Respectable time?!

Hi all, not posted in donkeys, and I've looked through past posts but cannot find the answer...

... what is a respectable time for a half ironman? bearing in mind Im average, my 10k run time is just under 50 mins, but my endurance seems to be better than my speed. I know its hard to say what a good time is for a specific person but just looking for a general overview of how people have done in the past or times they've heard?

Thanks heaps all!
x

Comments

• stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    Which half ironman are you refering to or is it just in general.
    Times will fluctuate depending on the event.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    well, it dpends on the course, conditions, general level of fitness, age, and gender I would imagine. Or I could just say sub 5 hours
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    The easiest way is to check last years results and work out where people at your speed came in.

Personally I started with a goal of sub-6 and next year it'll be sub-5:30; if things had gone better I would have made it this year.
  • MrTimMrTim Posts: 13
    largeade wrote:
    The easiest way is to check last years results and work out where people at your speed came in.

Personally I started with a goal of sub-6 and next year it'll be sub-5:30; if things had gone better I would have made it this year.
    Yeah, "respectable" is relative (and based on personal opinion!).I consider anything other than dead last to be respectable, and getting myself into the main pack to be a great success (you often see a pretty big proportion of the field covered by a relatively small time spread; at the last olympic distance tri I did 160 of 280 competitors finished within 20 minutes of each other, despite there being nearly two hours between first and last place!).
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Q: what is your race goal?
    e.g. to finish? to podium?

Q: what are your limiters?
    e.g. weak swimmer? constant groin injury after 8 miles running?

Q: what is your base endurance like for each discipline?

cheers

didds
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    In fact, even easier... check out these two recent threads as they cover many very similar issues

target-times-for-olympic-tri-t49029.html
    good-time-for-first-triathlon-t49030.html

didds
  • Thanks for all your replies!

Its not actually a half ironman event as such - its an event im trying to set up with a friend, an indoor tri using the pool, indoor cycle and treadmill. i was looking for a time to put on the cycle as its likely we'd have to use spin bikes (no distance guage). but we want to aim for an approximation of the half ironman distance.

obviously personal limiters are a huge factor - i for one am not a podium finisher! im just a plodder really but i usually finish (other events and distances) in what I would call an ok but not fantastic time.

will look at those other threads, cheers guys xx