Home Chat General Chat

Will my bike see the otherside?

Hey all,

So i knew I forgot something... book my bike on my flight out of Dublin for IMCH. OOPs.

"Im sorry sir, we already have 6 bikes on the plane"

Im renting a bike box from my lbs (Hard case, Im fairly sure) and my plan is to pack the bike and one large bag of clothes(gear, shoes, helmet etc) and then make the GAT pack her clothes into the hand luggage (yes i will pay for that)

Will the bike box be ok with the other luggage? I know its a hard case, but do you all submit it as sports equip when you are flying or pack it in with all your other luggage.

Cheers

IK

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    flying Aer Lingus? OOhhh.... could be tricky, but be happy it's not Ryanair!

Good luck!!
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    I did IM France a couple of weeks agao and had exactly the same worries, i flew with Jet2.com and had to declare the bike as sports equipment paying the extra dosh that goes with that and packed all the rest of my stuff in (fairly large) hand luggage (it just passed as hand luggage). I had my bike in a hard case from BikeBoxAlan and it was fine both ways not the slightest hint of damage.
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Ok Aerlingus wont allow the bike as luggage. F*CK. I cant believe this.

Cheapest quote to get he bike there in 400 euro one way.
    DHL 700 one way
    Multic Cargo (AerLingus) 400 one way

Anyone know somewhere I can rent a bike over there??

HELP NEEDED

IK
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    It might be chaper to change your flight and at least have your own bike. Surely that would be cheaper? Dunno if Id want to be riding that far on a rental or borrowed bike.
    I cant afford it.

The only flights left with bike room is to geneva. 300 to change flights each. 160 e/w transfer to zurich. Plus 80 for the bike on the flights.

I have a bike booked over there now. Its decent enough spec and its the right size frame at least.

Im trying to get my bike couriered with a local tri club who are sending over their bikes. If that doesnt workout at least its not a show stopper.

IK
    Its amazing the benefits of being in a triathlon club.

I contacted a local club that I am not a member of. They kindly updated their delivery including my bike.

No longer need to rent a bike.

Happy days and not too expensive either.
    IK
  • blaze1235blaze1235 Posts: 64
    Brown trouser moment saved
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    And this incredibly accommodating & generous club would be?....Only because their help should be acknowledged with a huge 220 pat on the back.
    A huge pat on the back

I wont name the individuals but Midland Tri Club based out of Mullingar helped me. I contacted them last week looking for information on the lakes around Mullingar. They pointed out that a lake 15min from my home town had a tri sprint course marked out all summer long. SWEET.

I chanced my arm contacting them again yesterday afternoon regarding my bike. By this morning they had my bike booked on their courier shipment. Great bunch of guys that I have never met or even talked to on the phone.

Definitely joining a club for next season.

And yes serious dodgy kacks.

IK
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Well what bloody good boys and girls they are! Their kharma quotient must ahve shot through the roof and I wouldn't mind betting they would just give an embarrassed shrug and say 'it was nothing'

Fantastic and once again what terrific sportsmen and women they are.
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    Ok i might be a bit late here but I flew with SAS from dublin to copenhagen, took the bike no worries and had to pay 40 euro one way, you can fly Dublin - Copenhagen - Zurich/Geneva
    http://www.flysas.com/

One option maybe worth looking into is fly to london and then take the train.

BTW don't take the fancy train in sweden with your bike, not allowed to bring bike so snuck it on and didnt say anything until train started moving.

Good luck at IM
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    mate, that's great news that you've got it sorted. given the injuries and everything i bet youll be pleased to be lining up on sunday waiting for the actual thing to start.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    P.S Well done that Tri Club. That is real kindness and the sort of thing that makes Tri so fantastic (IMO).