Home Chat General Chat

Which M dot?

I'm working toward my first Ironman next year and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
I'm sorry to admit it, but I want to do an IM badged race (I want to do Quelle Cahllenge Roth the year after).
I don't want to do IMUK as, although it's close I want to have a decent IM experience.
Any suggestions which to pick for an IM newbie (preferably northern hemisphere, mid to later in the year.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• matt333matt333 Posts: 32
    What makes you think you wouldn't have a decent experience at IMUK??
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    It's not long to go before this year's IMUK and there are still places left, whereas Lanaza's and Austria have already sold out for 2011.
    I want to do a race with massive public support and an awesome atmosphere - I'm guessing if IMUK can't sell the event out, the support's not going to be as good as a European/American event.....
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Doesn't mean to say it won't be a good event.

By taking that stance you become part of the problem rather than the solution. The event can only grow if it has support. To some people IMUK may be shite in comparison to other Mdots but without the support then it will fade to nothing.

I'm sure IMUK will have loads of support and a good atmospehere, and I'm quite happy to lend my entry for this year.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Two mates have done IM France and said it was awesome. Great course, great support and great scenery!
    shadowone1 wrote:
    Doesn't mean to say it won't be a good event.

By taking that stance you become part of the problem rather than the solution. The event can only grow if it has support. To some people IMUK may be shite in comparison to other Mdots but without the support then it will fade to nothing.
    Fair point.
    Good luck for the race.
  • matt333matt333 Posts: 32
    Well the support last year at IMUK was amazing right through the whole day & a real sense of camaraderie amongst the competitors so I wouldn't write it off I had an amazing experience. Hope you enjoy as much as I did which ever one you choose though.
    Steadily beginning to think IMUK might be a good idea after all -I think the wife's more likely to approve the spend level as well....
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    If you want to go to Austria,and it is a great race,then try Nirvana travel,they might have a package deal available.
    Switzerland is good.
    But regarding UK races,the level of support abroad is greater,possibly due to their localauthority being more pro race than here in the UK.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    A couple of the Chester Tri guys just did IM Frankfurt, they reckoned it was excellent.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Not having done my first one yet I can't reccomend which one is a 'good' event, but my reasoning for choosing Switzerland over the UK was that I haven't been to Switzerland and have wanted to for a long time. I enjoy racing abroad (running) i just find it adds to the excitement and makes it more of an event. I have been to Bolton, it was cold and wet (February so to be expected I guess) and I didn't enjoy it. The support at European races is meant to be great. A friend of mine had done (well DNF'd) Switz and I have to be better at everything that him - plus he said the climb at Heartbreak hill was awesom and the support made him feel like he was doing le tour... My next IM...if there is one, will be in the country I live in at that time for the sake of planning being easier, no language barrier, it should be cheaper, my friends/family may be able to be convinced to come and support, and I will have already done a foreign race.
  • TonyNevTonyNev Posts: 5
    I have done IM New Zealand and taupo the home town of the evnt get behind it and there is a WHOLE week of events leading up to it. Also your IM registraion band gets you discount in cafes and stores with the M dot logo in. They also run an adobt an athlete program where local people put in for a lot and if your name is drawn you have tghe support of that family. My brother was a adopted by a local cafe and on race day there were over 20 people cheering on Hong Kong Bob (my bro lives in HK) it was cool as by proxy they shouted on for me and our names were chalked on the rode.

I have done nearly all the half in Uk before the Full and found that the support by spectators is awesome as mentioned it is often the support of the local aurhority!!! these old grey haired people who dont like change and development!! i am doing IMUK this year and on my trip to Bolton to test ride course i bumped into the main Police chief who is involved with the event and found him very enthused and both the local authorities and IMUK have tried really improve on the course from 2009. So i may be eating my words on feelings for Authroities.

If i was you i would start with IMUK for a coupole of reasons. 1, as an athelete they take a lot of organising of kit and bits and bobs and that is easier when you have english bike shops, supermarkets up the road when you forget things. Also once you have done this one you can relax about foriegn events.

But overall you WILL get the full IM experiance as 140.3miles is 140.3miles!!

i will happily feedback after this event for a foriegn to UK comparison

Tony
  • I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to do an IM branded event. Also, I dismissed IMUK due to the fact that I want a memorable experience. I figure that if I'm going to go through hell for that amount of time, then I want great support and a good climate and scenery. Unfortunately, Bolton didn't inspire me. I have now opted for IM France next year. The weather should be good and the setting is supposed to be fantastic. The bike is supposed to be bloody hard due to all the climbing but hey, thats what IM is about. Its not supposed to be easy. I can understand those people that say that we should support the IMUK race, but to be honest, it convinced the other half to let me do it. A two week holiday in Nice beat a week in Bolton hands down!!!