Home Chat General Chat

foot position on the bike

Hi,
I'm new to bike riding and I'm doing my first tri in August. I tend to ride with my toes down although on hills my foot is flat. Will this make it harder to run. I'm using MTB spd's on my road bike will this also make any difference.
Thanks

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    A good starting place is the seat height from centre of the Bottom Bracket; I've read a variety of opinions on this but inseam x .883 is one that crops up. Then determine foot position KOPS (Knee Over Pedal Spindle). With your feet clipped in/in the cage/on the pedal and the pedals are at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position parrallel to the ground, drop a plumb line - string or lace with a weight from the front of your knee. In theory that should go right through the centre of the spindle. However that is just a start as you will tweak that yourself with what feels right over time.

With you foot extended to its fullest extent, just a little before 6 o'clock, crank in line with the seat tube then your foot should be parrallel to the ground. I found this which may be useful:
    [attachment=1:21d1cpt1]fit.jpg[/attachment:21d1cpt1]

And of course it is a process of constant fine adjustment until things feel right.

Some people (like me) just to buck this "rule" prefer to be toe down:

[attachment=0:21d1cpt1]Ankling.jpg[/attachment:21d1cpt1]

Basically if you start from there and just see what works best for you.

Hope it helps.
  • kirkbykirkby Posts: 17
    Thank you. Looked up the bike parts you mentioned and I shall try this.
  • I've got an idea, just sit on your bike and make sure you can touch the pedals.
    When I train for ironman uk i jus sit on and rip around on my emeele banshee (9 mph average for 5 laps of Richmond Park)
    If you want any training tips give me a shout I am a level 2 BASI ski instructor.

Peace out homes xxx
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    holy shit this dude is back....

wtf is he on about... defo piss take
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    ironman-jc wrote:
    I've got an idea, just sit on your bike and make sure you can touch the pedals.
    When I train for ironman uk i jus sit on and rip around on my emeele banshee (9 mph average for 5 laps of Richmond Park)
    If you want any training tips give me a shout I am a level 2 BASI ski instructor.

Peace out homes xxx
    it's good to know we have some professional types on here, i was wondering if you could help me with a question that has often bugged me?

on dragsters they have one wheel much bigger than the other and they seem to go way loads faster than other cars. should i get a much bigger wheel for the back of my bike for ironman races? if it helps i have a saracen mtb, but i can get up to 11-12mph when the pavements are clear, and i am hoping to do kona in october.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    If you got a really big wheel (a la penny farthing) and got aero so you're lower than the rear wheel, how fast would you go?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Or how about this?[attachment=0:eyf2iw9b]BIKE.jpg[/attachment:eyf2iw9b]