Home Chat General Chat

London - all change

I got my pack through for London at the weekend, and there's several changes to previous years, I suspect to make it better for spectators. Remains to be seen whether it works better, but my initial thoughts are they're rubbish (4x 2.5k laps for the run is just a pain).

On the plus side I had a good laugh at my better half moaning that she'd have to get up early as I've an 8am start

Comments

• dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    Run route said to be "flat" but I know this area and there is a nasty 500m slight uphill section w/o shade. OK for those going at 8am maybe, but not those in the 11.30 start wave...
  • Anyone know whether this is a no wetsuit race. Apparently the Serpentine hit 22 yesterday but the lido pool centre say 21 today. Anyone know when they make an official announcement?
  • MrTimMrTim Posts: 13
    Everything I've read simply says "wetsuits mandatory", with no mention of there being a possibility that they'll even be optional.
  • In the event info, age group race info... Right down at the bottom after all the maps there is clarrificstion on swimming kit. Up to 18 and it is wettie mandatory, 18-22 and it is optional, 22plus and they are not allowed. They really need to get down there with some ice cubes to cool the pond down!
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    Is that 8 oclock Sunday?

If so same as me, however I was hoping I might have been able to do this triathlon at a reasonable time so didnt involve me getting in the middle of the night like usual
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    It's due to rain here the next couple of days, so I wouldn't worry about a non-wetsuit swim.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I'm sure it will always be a wetsuit swim. The docks are large and deep, and therefore there will always be the upwelling of colder waters from below ensuring that the temperature never gets to hot. The Serpentine and Lido pools are significantly smaller and shallower and hence have the ability to warm up quicker.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Stevester wrote:
    Is that 8 oclock Sunday?

If so same as me, however I was hoping I might have been able to do this triathlon at a reasonable time so didnt involve me getting in the middle of the night like usual
    Yep, same one, what sort of times are you looking at/ hoping for? We might be able to pace off each other...

4th time doing London, and my first early start, I've always been the last race of the day nice as it's cooled down, but strange as the crowd's drifting away. Not sure how much support will be there at 8am either...
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    2 weeks to go till my first ever Tri! Nervous? not so much...... yet.

I'm only doing Sprint, but I was surprised to find my start is 4.30pm. I was expecting an early start on Saturday.

My understanding is that Goggles and wetsuit are compulsory.