Home Chat General Chat

X-Lab MINI WING KIT vs Profile Design AQUA REAR

Looking to get a rear twin bottle carrier for my bike, as I only have 1 bottle mount.
In the running is the X-Lab MINI WING KIT and the Profile Design AQUA REAR.
Anyone had experience of either of these?
X-LAB
[img:2pn0i0kl]http://img.artscyclery.com/product/XLMWK.jpg[/img:2pn0i0kl]
[img:2pn0i0kl]https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/Images/Brands/SubCategory/ChildSubCategory/rm1.jpg[/img:2pn0i0kl]

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Stay clear of the Profile design one, Its as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I have no experience of the X-Lab kit so Cant comment on that, but after having the profile one before and constantly having it undue itself and throw everything everywhere I binned it.

I also saw 4 of these set ups on the road during this years Beaver middle distance tri.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I used the Profile a couple of times, and it ejected bottles each time. At Wimbleball, I think i passed two of these lying on the road, that had completely come off. Shame really, because all my other PD stuff is top notch.

No experience of Xlab stuff, as I don;t earn enough to buy it
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    GFH,

Isn't the turbo wing from Xlab the same price as the mini wing?

I think the turbo wing is about £40 and doesn't seem to throw bottles as much as other types of rear carriers do.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    I'm currently trialling the X-lab Saddlewing, and it seems to be working fine. A bottle got ejected when I hit a pothole the other day, but it was a big pothole and i hit it quite hard while trying to avoid a car and another pothole, it was fine for the rest of the 100 miles.
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    I noticed a couple of the profiles on the ironman 70.3 course as well, was considering stopping and picking one up, but after this review glad I didnt
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I noticed a couple of the profiles on the ironman 70.3 course as well, was considering stopping and picking one up, but after this review glad I didnt
    Ha ha - me too - but decided finishing the race was more important
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Cheers.
    X-Lab it is.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Can only confirm the sentiment. I got the profile ones and they are dreadful - lost the cage on three occasions and ejected the bottles numerous times .... would not touch them anymore.

Now need to log on to the other forum ... cannot remember the name ... to get the free bottle advice.
    I think the x-lab is fine providing you use one of the carbon bottle cages that grips from the side (if this makes sense) and ensure the angle isn't to steep. The alumin ones are dreadful for holding bottles as the grippers are too flexible and have to tied up with a cable tie to stop it flexing.

I'm waiting on my x-lab turbo wing coming as i got it for my birthday so I'm running the x-lab set-up with the side gripping bottle cages at IMUK. Although I tend to use my rear carrier for storing tubs, tools, CO2 etc
  • Barny51Barny51 Posts: 16
    I HAVE TO DEFEND THE PROFILE DESIGN!!! I have the verison that clamps onto the seatpost but cant believe it wudl be so different !

I have cycled from london to cornwall, all aroudn surrey, ironman switzerland, ironman uk countless other triathlons and never had a bottle come out.

I have not used the x wing but to me it looks over priced, overengineered and ridiculous.. perhaps its why it appeals to triathletes!

So I say buy the profile design one but the one that goes on the seatpost. (perhaps the angle the bottle is at is not so steep?)
    I'm sure that Chain Reaction Cycles were doing the Profile bottle carrier for £36 and the x-lab turbo wing for £40. Sure you can go for the X-lab for £90 but I use the rear holder mostly for carrying tubs, co2, tyre levers, allan keys etc and possibly one bottle of liquid.

If it came down to a choice I would take the x-lab, far too many people say the same thing about the profile with it shooting bottles but again it does depend on the style of bottle carrier attached.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    My profile one kept undoing itself at the adjustable angle bit because of all the weight from carrying 2 full bottles. This would then come loose and I would loose the whole carrier leaving me with just the clamp that sits on the saddle rails.

I tried some locking compound on the threads and that didnt work either.

I then got rid and bought a Bontrager one, now it had 2 bolts of attachment and it used to sag down with all the weight no matter how tight i did them up.. I used locking washers, nyloc inserts and thread compound.... still no joy.

So what I did was drill 2 small holes through the carbon frame of the holder and 2 holes through the back of my saddle and attached Tie wraps to it, thus creating a Triangle and spreading the weight over 3 separate points. This worked a treat.

I decided to use my engineering skills and made a plate from Aluminium to make it more solid and that has solved the problem. Only down side is that It now takes about 20 mins to strip it all down if I want to put it on my other bike!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Well in the end I went for a Bontrager Race Lite rear carrier, after speaking to a guy with one at Hyde park.
    http://bontrager.com/model/07758
    Got it online for £20 including 2 bottle cages. Tested it today on a 3 hour ride and it behaved flawlessly. The bottle cages have a lip on them that holds the bottles. Even managed to squeeze my existing Topeak micro in there.
    Well chuffed!