Home Chat General Chat

bad aero bars

okennyokenny Posts: 231
Hey all,

I have a set of Profile Design T2+ aero bars on my Specialized Transition.
I love the bike but I hate the aero bars. The pads are not supportive, my elbows deform the plastic and want to roll out of them....I also can't increase the height without adding spacers to the stem, but I'm happy with the height of the handelbars (perfect).

I was in Roth at the weekend looking at other bikes with better handle bars.....lots of nice carbon aerobards with cost the earth.

Anyone else have these T2+ and the same problem?? Any reccomemondations for another set of aerobars suitable for a carbon TT bike?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Last1Last1 Posts: 14
    I agree they are not great. Try looking at the Valdora full carbon aero bars which are designed for comfort if you are wanting a top notch set of tri bars http://bikesales4u.com/valdora-cycles/bars-wheels-parts/valdora-sr-1-0-carbon-aero-bars/
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    wow, they look nice, thanks for the tip...
    pricey though, sheesh 500 quid....
    Can do a deal -- PM me if interested
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    These set me back 80€ http://www.bbbparts.com/handlebars_bhb51.php 592 gram in total.
    In the end i still reckon: if you dont have the engine ....the gear wont help

If you wanna spend some more monies

http://www.bbbparts.com/handlebars_bhb57.php
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Hmmm... I suspect "a deal" on £500 tri bars will still be much more expensive than most ordinary people would consider spending on some extensions!

I had some T2+, on an Airwing base bar, never had a problem with them; have since replaced both by some Planet X stealth bars (£115 from a mate) and despite some discomfort from the pads that I can live with, I'm loving them. Might be worth considering a wholesale swap for something integrated like those?
    Just for the record the Valdora tri bars are a full carbon bar plus extensions with large or small pads. See pics http://twitpic.com/1t8s7z. could do them for a good price !!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I ran a set of Zipp Vuka Clip Ons on my Argon. They were superbly comfortable, mega adjustable and light as a feather.

Would totally recommend them and they were all carbon and a cheaper than 500 notes.
  • jmurt71jmurt71 Posts: 46
    I wouldn't give up on the Profiles just yet. I hated mine when I got them at first but did a few journeys with an Allen key in my back pocket and kept on adjusting the angle of the bars,the angle of the pads and the distance between them and now Im quite happy with them. If you're coming from a j-bend type they're a bit more extreme and therefore less comfortable but you can compensate by initially putting them at quite a bit of an upward angle and gradually start dropping them in stages until they're as close to horizontal as you can handle.
    wow, those Zipp Vuka's look very nice too.....but they're still massively expensive...the gear shifters would be nice to have too.....money money money.

I am planning on buying a new set of carbon wheels, so investing in 500 quid bars too would give me a lot of GAT grief....
    I have a syntace C3 set on my old road bike....I might put them onto my transition for my IM adventures next year (lots of comfort, but not agressive...should be fine for a 6hr 180k ). For my 70.3 (Germany) in a few weeks I might try to adjust the Profile design bars a little as suggested, angle etc...

Thanks for the help guys!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    The zipps are bloody good, I can testify to that. I have to admit, I got the clamps and ski extensions for £100 from Primera.

I think the clamps and extensions are £100 each

But, they are superbly comfy, they are carbon and nice looking. There are cheaper and just as good alternatives out there.
    Fitted a set of Profile Design F-22 carbon arm rests yesterday - problems solved!

A worrld of difference, massively better, no going back etc.. etc..

• BertBert Posts: 24
    Maybe something like this-

Full carbon
    comes with spacer kit for arm rests
    Extra length on extensions and lever ends to cut to size
    Oversize clamp area
    Internal cable routing
    540g
    UCI legal measurements
    £280

From Colbert Cycles